Style Error: The ISME Journal

"et al." are not set in italic.
Journal issue number is not set in bold
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.

Styles also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know & thanks for reporting
  • Thanks a lot, it works!

I have noticed two style errors more:
    1. The abbreviated journal names should not include dots:
    wrong: Appl. Environ. Microbio.
    Right: Appl Environ Microbio

2. Some journals use headlines with every word starting with a capital letter, this is not allow in the reference list in ISME journal. A solution to this might cause some troubles with words that are supposed to be in capital letter like species names.
  • I forgot to mention, that the journal name should also be in italic.
  • The journal abbreviation and italics are now fixed. For issue 2.) see
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/sentence_casing
  • Hey there!

I also identified problems with "The ISME Journal"-citation style. I just downloaded the style and used it in LibreOfficeWriter (Ubuntu). One problem is, that in the publication-text the Author and publication year are not seqparated by a comma "," as demandad by ISME J. Furthermore, if there is more than one citation at one point they are not automatically ordered by year and alphabet!? Is this not possible or not desired for any reason??

The demanded style in the text of the paper according the ISME-guidlines (see link at the end of the comment) is as follows:
    (Heidelberg et al, 1994)

In most publications I read from this Journal they were cited in this way (Heidelberg et al.,1994) where "et al" was italic

The current style how zotero formats the references in libreofficewriter is like this:
    (Heidelberg et al. 1994) without comma but italic

I am confused!!! Can anybody help me with this problem??

Thank you!

Guidlines you can find here:
    http://mts-isme.nature.com/cgi-bin/main.plex?form_type=display_auth_instructions

-> serach for "References"

Best
  • Mission accomplished. At least I think so... ;)

I opened the CSL Editor in Zotero Standalone, pasted the code from the .csl-file (ISME from repository) and added one comma in the sixth line from

<group delimiter=" "> to <group delimiter=", ">

why in line 5 there's the same line, but with "," I don't rally understand, but I'm no programmer ;)

I hope this works.

Best

<citation et-al-min="3" et-al-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" disambiguate-add-names="true" disambiguate-add-givenname="true" collapse="year">
    <layout prefix="(" suffix=")" delimiter="; ">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <text macro="author-short"/>
    <text macro="year-date"/>
    </group>
    <text variable="locator"/>
    </group>
    </layout>
    </citation>
  • edited April 27, 2014
    fixed on the repository.
    The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.

Styles also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
  • Many thanks!!
  • Hello,
    I have some problems with the ISME J Style format bibliography with zotero.
    Format of citation in bibliography do not contain the doi for articles e-pub cited like it is specified in the ISME guide for author format reference like the above exemples given in this guide from ISME Journal:

Journal article, e-pub ahead of print:
    Eng-Kiat L, Bowles DJ. A class of plant glycosyltransferases involved in cellular homeostasis. EMBO J 2004; e-pub ahead of print 8 July 2004, doi: 10.1038/sj.emboj.7600295.

How can I do to change this, please?
  • I'll take a look. Won't happen super quickly, but I hope to get to it this weekend.
  • I've added DOIs now, but I've not done the whole "e-pub ahead of print"--couldn't find that in any published article and the format as given -- with the year at the end of the journal, for example--doesn't make sense to me. I'd expect this to be acceptable to editors, let us know if you hear otherwise.

The updated version will appear on the repositry within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the styl by cliking "Update Now" in the General ab of the Zotero preferences.

Styles alsoupdate automatically within24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In anexisting document, you may have to swich to adifferent style and back for the changes to take effect once thestyle isupdated.