Chrome Zotero Connector fail

I have used Zotero with the Google Chrome connector without problems until I was obliged to re-install Google Chrome browser. The version now is Version 33.0.1750.117 m. My Zotero stand alone is also up to date.
I have downloaded the connector multiple times and used it so long as both Chrome and Zotero remain open. But it disappears every time I close the Chrome browser. I have downloaded it about 5 times this morning to try and find out what is going wrong. And it vanishes even if I remove or disable the Google docs connector. When I reopen Chrome, the Google docs connector is there again and the Zotero connector on which I have relied, is no longer shown there.
When I tried to send an error report to Zotero I got a reference 1382964757. But I am not sure whether this error code is relevant to the failure of the connector to really stick in Google Chrome.
I have used Zotero stand alone with Chrome on a Sony Vaio Computer with Windows 7 since Spring 2013 and not previously had any problem. Please can you help me?
  • can you install any other Chrome extensions? This doesn't really seem like an issue with Zotero, but rather with Chrome.
  • I tried Pinterest and you are right that disappears too. Even tho on the Chrome settings I marked enable at start up. I rebooted windows but the connectors did not reappear. Zotero is really important to me so may be I have to learn to use Firefox?
  • We don't really have the capacity to troubleshoot Chrome issues here, but if you Google "chrome extensions disappear after restart" you should get quite a few possible solutions you could try.

You can of course install Firefox, which is not that different from Chrome, so it should not be difficult to get used to.
  • " Google "chrome extensions disappear after restart" "
    Thanks for the sugggestion. Several conflicting diagnoses and remedies out there but a whole morning of my life vanished with no result. At one point the Pinterest extension did reappear - just once. I dont know how or why.

Before posting this question, I did instal Firefox, no problem with using Firefox, but I was unable to find and download the advertised extension to make my stand alone Zotero work with firefox browser.

It seemed simpler in the end to live with the Chrome problem and do a new download of the connector every time I want to add books.
  • you'd just install the Firefox add-on from the Download page, that'll work with Standalone:
    http://www.zotero.org/download/
  • The Firefox add-on was greyed out when I first tried. But thanks for the info. as I am about to introduce a Firefox user to Zotero.
    For the benefit of anyone else with this Chrome/Zotero disappearance problem I will report the eventual solution in my case.
    The problem was indeed with the Google Chrome installation, but uninstalling and re-installing Chrome did not remove the problem, for the simple reason that a replacement installation recovers any user's settings from the previous installation, bringing with it any corruption which may be causing the problem. Chrome help Official Help, not the forums - provides detailed instructions for removing a corrupt user profile and creating a new one.
    Thank you for the help on this thread. Because I hadnt a clue what was happening and now it is fixed.
  • After reinstalling Chrome to actual version 46.0 Zotero connector is not shown on the bar. Extension 4.0.26 is active. Error was reported with ID 962216988. After report I restarted chrome and now no error with the extension appeared, but icon still not in the bar
  • the debug ID is D1319107937
  • before your reply I checked the boxes Enable at Startup and Show in Console. Is that alright?
  • sorry, we need that debug ID from the Chrome connector, not from Standalone.
  • edited November 10, 2015
    Well I followed the instructions you gave to get the debug ID under the Advanced tab of the Zotero Connector preference.

under chrome://extensions/ the Zotero Connector has this ID: ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc.
    Don´t now it is helpful
  • OK, sorry, misunderstood.
    @Dan -- can you make out anything from the debug?
  • edited November 10, 2015
    There's too much going on there — other pages loading at the same time, etc. mc.cisnerost, just follow the normal directions, starting the debug output immediately before loading the page and stopping immediately after, with nothing else going on.
  • (I see "Parsing code for Open WorldCat", though. The Chrome connector debug output doesn't include the detection results, but I don't see anything obviously wrong.)
  • @mc.cisnerost -- and you're positive you're not seeing the icon for the worldcat page?
  • edited December 1, 2015
    I have used Zotero connector with Chrome for years. I primarily use ebrary as a site and it has worked fine. Now since I upgraded to Windows 10 I am unable to get the icon to appear for Ebrary. It does appear for Amazon and other sites.
  • Start a new thread for that please (That's "Start a new discussion" at the top left here) and provide a URL exactly as you see it.
This discussion has been closed.