batch add pdfs as links to files

I see that I can batch add pdfs as stored copies,and I can attach a link to a file individually, but is there any way to batch add links to files (as opposed to stored copies)? Is there any way to batch add (in either way) where it also imports the file structure (so pdfs from nested folders, also transferring the folder names and their original organization)?

Is there a feature anyways of marking a status of an item? (Read, To Read, Needs Processing)?
  • You can batch-select items in the "add link to file" file browser dialog (using shift and/or ctrl+click) or you can add files as links using
    Ctrl-Shift-drag on Windows/Linux, Cmd-Option-drag on OS X

You cannot import any folder structure, no.

You can use colored tags for status markers
    http://zotero-manual.github.io/zotero-manual/tags#colored_tags
  • Awesome! Once again, you save the day! (Though you'd save it even more if you could import file structure ;) )
  • Can you use the zotfiles sync with ipad if you only add links to zotero?
  • not sure which ZotFile sync you're referring to (ZotFile itself doesn't actually sync anything), but none of ZotFile's functionality distinguishes between links and attachments, so the answer is yes.
  • I can get the control+shift and drag files (to add them as links) to work sometimes, but 90% of the time it just copies the files even when I control+shift. The little box that pops up when you do it near the cursor says "link" but then creates copies (vs. when I just drag files over and it says "move" or "copy"). Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
  • The cursor feedback won't be correct on most OSes (and isn't something we can fix, unfortunately), but copying/linking should still work reliably.

What OS? Does it make a difference at what point in the drag you press the keys down?
  • Windows 8 - i just switched from Windows 7 where it was working a little better (maybe 50% of the time). I've tried right clicking vs. left clicking; switching the order I control+shift vs. shift+control, switching the order of dragging first vs. pushing keys first. I figured I must be doing something right if the cursor was labeling it as creating a link. I've also tried dragging fewer vs. more files, dragging only files of one type (just pdfs instead of image files). No idea what isn't working...
  • I'm not sure it will tell us anything, but can you provide a Debug ID for a Ctrl-Shift-drag that doesn't work correctly?
  • Here you go. Sorry I made 1 footnote at the end forgetting to shut it off. I did two different ctrl-shift drags here.
    D200843718
  • It's also worth noting I guess that if I use the "attach link to file" from the attachment dropdown at the top of standalone zotero, it works every time. It's just a bit more time consuming to do that instead of dragging a whole file of links over at once.
  • obviously drag&drop should work as advertised, but just to make sure you're aware: you can select multiple files at once in the "attach link to file" selection dialog.
  • Mac copy drag does not work at all.
    Tried Control-Shift-Drag and all other command key variations.
    Please advise.
  • sorry, that's not enough information. Please provide specific steps to reproduce--I'm not even sure what's not working specifically for you.
  • Hello -
    I am new to Zotero, and attempting to add Links rather than copies of local PDF files on my hard drive. If I understood correctly, Control-Shift dragging files into Zotero's window should produce this result. However, in every case, the result is a copy of the file into Zotero's own database, rather than a link to my original file.

Using the (+) menu to add links does work, but that is not as convenient.
    Any guidance appreciated.

This is on Mac, latest OS and all updates installed, latest version of Zotero desktop as well.
  • as per above, it's Cmd+Opt+drag on Mac.
  • Thank you for the response. I tried Cmd+Opt+drag, with the same result: the file copied instead of linked. I also tried other variations, like Control-Opt-Drag, with the same result.
  • @Dan (or anyone else) - can you check this still works on Mac?
    It works on Windows and Linux as advertised.
  • Cmd-Option-drag still works fine for me.
  • Zenon - if you have any Zotero add-ons, you could try disabling them. Otherwise, please double check that behavior (you'd have to hold the buttons from before the start of the drag, I believe).
    If you're confident you're doing this right and can reproduce the behavior, provide a debug ID for a failed attempt:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • Thank you again...I tried your suggestion of disabling add-ons (I am surprised to see various add-ons listed that seem to have nothing to do with Zotero, such as Silverlight and Shockwave Flash). I set all of them to "Never Activate", then quite and re-launched Zotero.

Tried Command-Option-Drag again, to no avail. Always a copy, never a link. I do hold the buttons before the drag, before the click in fact, and keep them held throughout the drag movement. No luck.

I shall send the Debug report
  • Debug ID: D1924854640
  • Not sure what to tell you. When you initially start to drag the file, still within Finder, do you see a curved black arrow in place of the cursor?
  • Dear Mr. Stillman:
    Thank you for the response. Yes, there is the curved black arrow when dragging.
  • Where exactly are you trying to drag to? You can't drag linked files into group libraries, which don't allow linked files, but it doesn't look like you're in any groups. If this is to a personal library, where exactly in Zotero are you dragging?
  • I am dragging it into the middle pane area of Zotero Desktop. I believe I am performing the action correctly, as it does work on my very old MacBook (2006 model) with an old Operating System (probably Lion; would have to check).

So I suspect there is some incompatibility with the current OS...Are others able to do the drag shortcut fine on the latest Mac OS (10.10.2)?

Thank you for any help. I am just starting to build my Zotero database, and the drag option would be an immense time saver.
  • Are others able to do the drag shortcut fine on the latest Mac OS (10.10.2)?
    Yes. The OS X version isn't the issue. If anything, it's some other software you have installed on that computer.
  • Any idea what other software might conflict with this?

I know that Command-Option-Click is the shortcut on the Mac to go to an app and hide all the other apps. Perhaps this interferes; not sure whether it can be disabled.
  • edited February 12, 2015
    No, again, this isn't an issue with OS X itself or of some default behavior in OS X needing to be disabled. We've had no other reports of this. I don't know why it's not working for you, but it's something particular to your system.

As for debugging it, I'm afraid you're really on your own, but as one easy step, you can try in another OS X user account.
  • I created a new "Test" user account, and the problem persists. I even re-booted into Safe Mode (http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262), which should disable any third-party extensions. There is nothing in the Log-in items or Start-up items folders. The problem persists. The mystery deepens...
  • Could you maybe generate a screencast of this (e.g., in QuickTime Player) that shows this happening, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox), and provide a link? It's possible we're misunderstanding exactly what you're doing and what's happening.