connector stays grey in safari

I have installed Zotero and the connector, however the connector doesn't work and stays grey even on NYT and Amazon. I have gone thru these steps:

http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#zotero_connectors_chrome_and_safari

Nothing works. The Debug ID is D1571437356.
  • BTW I work on OS X 10.6.8
  • Which Zotero version?
  • Thanks for reacting. The version is 4.0.17.
  • I don't have Safari here to test, but I believe when you open the Safari Connector Zotero preferences (as you did to create and send the debug) it should tell you whether Standalone is online or offline - which is it?
    Also, do you have any security software installed that might interfere with Zotero's ability to communicate with the connector?
    I'd also be interested in an error report ID from Zotero Standalone after a failed "Save as Zotero Snapshot" (as per your other thread).
    http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs#provide_a_report_id
  • Hi Adam, thanks for your reaction. The Zotero preference page reads: 'Zotero Standalone is currently unavailable.' When I press the 'Update Status'-button nothing happens.
    The Zotero Connector however is activated in the Safari Extensions preferences window.
    There is no security software installed that I am aware of the prohibits Zotero's ability to communicate with the connector.
    There is no error report after a failed 'save as zotero snapshot'. Nothing happens at all.
  • Does that mean the "send error report" option in Zotero is greyed out?
    And you do have Zotero running when you try this, correct?
  • No, it is not greyed out. I have a bunch of error reports. I just pressed send error report and received this Report ID:1234384498. The connector preference window does not let me copy the error, but it says something like: 'Javascript error: undefined is not an object (evaluating tab page.DispatchMessage')"{File: "safari-extension://Zotero.org.zoteroconnectorforsafari-69X6C99F9/8390d683/messaging.js" lind 149}]
    And yes, of course I have zotero running when I try this.
  • is that error report from the Safari connector or from Zotero Standalone? If possible, also provide the other one (i.e. Standalone if it's from the connector and vice versa).

Simon will likely have to look at these to say more.
  • At the top of the screen it says: Zotero Connector Preferences. I do not know what you mean by 'Safari Connector'. All this is about the zotero connector extension button in the Safari bar and the malfunctioning of the 'Save to Zotero snapshot' option by holding the ctrl key while pressing the mouse on some websites.
  • right, but you can also report an error from Zotero Standalone. I'd also like that.
  • Ok, just switched on Debug detection in the Zotero Standalone and got these messages after trying to 'Save to Zotero Snapshot':

version => 4.0.17, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.6, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 4.0.17

=========================================================

(3)(+0000000): Opening database 'zotero'

(1)(+0000000): Persistent descriptor in extensions.zotero.dataDir did not resolve

Also I got this 'The Debug ID is D362819458'
  • great - Simon will have to take it from here.
  • Check your data directory in the Advanced -> Files and Folders pane of the Zotero Standalone preferences. It looks like it may be set to an invalid location. It should be pointing to wherever it's pointing to in Firefox.
  • I am not using Firefox. I'm on Safari.
  • edited January 3, 2014
    Sorry, I got this confused with another thread. But definitely check the data directory location. I'd guess that you set a custom data directory location and then deleted or moved that directory.
  • edited January 3, 2014
    I'd also guess that your Standalone isn't actually working at all right now and that this doesn't have anything to do with Safari.
  • I am at a loss here. I pressed a button called 'show file' in the Files and folders pane. Nothing happens. Then I tried allocating a profilefolder myself but then I get messages (in bad Dutch) saying that either I can't use this folder because it is empty. Then I tried using a folder that appears to have been put in Microsoft user data in my library by Zotero. I got the messaage I can't use that folder because it is not a Zotero folder.
  • If you haven't used Zotero before, just set it to use the default location.
  • That's just it: there is no default location I can use.
  • So in the Zotero Standalone preferences, under Advanced --> Files and Folders:
    Ignore the first section, you don't need it for the time being.
    Then under the heading "Data Directory Location" you should have to options: "Use profile directory" (at the top) and "custom location" below it. You want the profile directory. If selecting that gives you an error, please provide the full error exactly as you receive it (i.e. in Dutch, presumably)
  • Sorry, wasn't finished yet. There are two options in the folders-pane. One is (I have to translate from Dutch) Connected Attachment Folder with a grey button saying Back to absolute paths. I can't press this. Then there is File location with two options. One is 'Use Firefox profile folder', which I can't use obviously. And the other option is 'Adjusted' and then I have to choose a folder on my own. Did that but got all of the above mentioned problems.
  • Just to remind you: I do not have Firefox installed on my macbook nor do I wish to do so.
  • you want: 'Use Firefox profile folder',
    that needs to get fixed in the Dutch translation, it's just the regular profile folder of Zotero.
  • Ok. I am using the Firefox profile folder now. The good news is that I just got my library back (that had disappeared). the bad news is that the Zotero connector button is grey as ever.
  • we'll need a new debug ID for trying to save (via ctrl+click --> Take Zotero Snapshot) from Safari then
  • I also got this Debug id: 757650268
  • And this are the messages:
    [JavaScript Error: "can't access dead object" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/fulltext.js" line: 344}]
    version => 4.0.17, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.6, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 4.0.17
    (3)(+0000007): Created hidden browser (0)

(3)(+0000000): Zotero.HTTP.processDocuments: Loading zotero://connector/http%3A%2F%2Fnovex-executeur.nl%2Fwerkzaamheden-van-de-executeur

(5)(+0000009): CookieSandbox: Being paranoid about channel for novex-executeur.nl

(5)(+0000000): CookieSandbox: Cleared cookies to be sent to novex-executeur.nl
  • And I got this Debug Id: D689053415
  • The other good news is that a webpage I couldn't safe before via 'Save Zotero Snapshot' is now saved. However the button is still grey.
  • OK, good, so that means Standalone is working again.
    For the Zotero button in Safari, let's look at this page:
    http://www.amazon.com/Wealth-Nations-Adam-Smith/dp/161382081X/
    please confirm that it's still grey and then provide debug from the Safari connector for reloading that page.