√ Is it possible to create unique call-out numbers for references and repeat them in text in Word?

Some journals require references to be cited only once in the endnotes with unique number and be called out as many times as necessary in the body through superscripts. Because Word cannot handle non-consecutive footnote/endnote numbers, I don't think this schema is possible with Zotero (or MLZ) + Word plug-in, is it? If not, it'd be nice if the Zotero Word plug-in figures out a way to do this in the future, as this is a reference style that is not infrequently used.
  • Zotero does support this, but you're thinking about it in the wrong terms:
    the number is the citation (which can appear as superscript or - more commonly - in parentheses or square brackets), what you're calling "Endnotes" is actually a (numbered) bibliography. You can try this with a style such as Vancouver or IEEE.
  • You are right. Ordinarily, a numbered bibliography would take care of this. Except that the publication that I'm targeting (Health Affairs) means endnotes as in endnotes vs. footnotes. You will see the author's notes, as well as references, in the endnote section of an article in Health Affairs. (It's modified Vancouver.) A numbered bibliography will not work if I have notes.

Any idea to overcome this?
  • Nothing clean, but you can insert token references where you need a note (could even be a reference to a standalone note in Zotero).
  • There is another issue. Prefixes/suffixes are appended to the superscripted call-out number in the body text, rather than to the numbered bibliography. Is this by design? I'm using Vancouver (superscript) found at http://www.zotero.org/styles/vancouver-superscript.
  • yes, that's by design. Since the same reference can be referred to by multiple citations, it doesn't make sense to attach the prefix to the bibliography entry.
    Frankly, having looked at Health Affairs, I'm not sure this can be done reasonably with Zotero. You can work around issues, but it's always going to be very messy dealing with an odd mix like that. I'm not terribly optimistic about adding support for that.
  • Sigh.. That's the story of my life. At least using token references will give me the ability to add notes. Thanks.
  • token references where you need a note (could even be a reference to a standalone note in Zotero)
    And how do you create a stand-alone note? A stand-alone note should be more convenient than cramming a full sentence or more into the title field of an item.
  • Click on the yellow post-it note icon in Zotero and select "Create Standalone Note"
  • It must be an original Zotero feature. I don't see it in MLZ.
  • I haven't checked recently, but I doubt Frank would have removed that - it's in all the screenshots in the book.
    To be clear - this would be in Zotero, not in the Word add-in. The icon is between the magic wand and the paperclip.
  • Oh... I see. Yes, it is there and it works. I tried to (right)-click the yellow post-it icon in the child node of an item. I've never used the same-looking icon between the magic wand and paper clip before and didn't know it existed. :-) Thanks!