How can I find which version of Zotero I have installed?

How can I find which version of Zotero I have installed? And which version of Word plugins? (Notes: I only have Word 2003, and am still using Windows XP(SP3) on my laptop; I use the latest version of Firefox as my browser.)
Can I upgrade to Zotero 4 with these tech specs, limitations?
  • yes you can use the latest versions of Zotero with xp and Word 2003.

You can find out your Zotero version either by clicking on "About Zotero" in the gears/action menu, or, when using Zotero for Firefox, by going to Tools --> Add-ons --> Extensions (the Tools button may just be the Firefox logo at the top left of your browser).
    That's also where you see your version of the Word plugin.
  • adamsmith, thank you for your quick and clear reply! I checked, and see that I have version 4.0.16, and have it set to update automatically. But I don't see any references to any Word plug-in. Does that mean I don't have any Word plug-in installed?

(As you can see, I'm new to using Zotero--but what I've done in it just this week is amazing--but I couldn't import anything that's in Zotero to my Word document, these research papers I'm writing--that's what told me I'm having a problem.)

Thank you for help!
  • which Zotero version? The Firefox add-on or the Standalone version?
  • I don't know! I checked both ways you suggested, found which version both ways. I do know that the Zotero logo shows up only in my Firefox windows; nothing is there when I have a Word document open. It is listed as a Firefox add-on, extension. And I checked Start-->my programs, and there's no Zotero listed there as a program installed on my computer (unless it is called by a very different name there).

Does that mean I do not have the standalone version? Do I need that to integrate with Word? Is that too free? And my laptop computer is pretty old, it's a Dell Inspiron 6400, Intel T2250 CPU in it; I have got 2GB of RAM on it, but it's not very fast. Will it be able to handle this standalone version?

Thanks!
  • sounds like you have the Firefox add-on. If you're mainly browsing in Firefox that's all you need, no reason to install Standalone. They do exactly the same thing.
    If the Word plugin doesn't show up in the extensions in Firefox, it is indeed not installed, install it from here http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation#microsoft_word
    instructions on how to use it are here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage
This discussion has been closed.