New items do not appear automatically in active collection

My typical workflow is to highlight a collection, open a database such as Compendex, search for journal articles, and add them to the collection using Zotero's site translator. For quite some time now, when I add an item it won't automatically appear in the collection even though it has been added. I have to click on another collection and then click back on the collection I was working with for the new item to show. Something like a forced refresh. Note, items always get added, it's just that they don't show up.

Is this a bug or a limitation?
  • Forgot to specify my environment.
    Using Zotero (4.0.16) with Firefox (25.0) on Windows 7 64-bit and Word 2010 32-bit.
  • so to make sure I understand this correctly - this is entirely a display issue, yes? The items are actually placed in the collection, you don't have to move them there or anything - they just don't appear initially. Do I get this right?

Try disabling all other Firefox add-ons and try again, see if that makes a difference.
  • A Report ID after triggering this (if possible) would be helpful, too.
  • Adam, yes, this is entirely a display issue. I'll try disabling other add-ons and report back.
    Dan, Okay.

I paid more attention to this issue last night and observed it occurs more often when I am in the Unfiled Items "collection". It does not happen each itme an item is added to My Library. Yesterday, out of fear that the doctors have been informed, this ailment occurred only 2-3 times for every 10 items I added. It seemed like the issue occurs when I am moving between many screens/Firefox tabs.
  • oh that's important - "Unfiled" is technically not a collection, but a saved search (for items that aren't in any collection) - I believe saved searches generally (or at least often) refresh only when you leave them & return.
  • Aha, I knew Unfiled is not a Collection but did not know it is not expected to refresh instantly. I guess that answers it for now. If I see the behavior in other Collections (I think I did but am not sure now), I'll update this thread.
  • edited November 21, 2013
    I believe saved searches generally (or at least often) refresh only when you leave them & return.
    They're supposed to update automatically. If they don't, that's a bug.

Also reported here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/33225/window-refresh/

Let's continue in that thread.
  • (And saved searches do appear to update for me, just not Unfiled Items.)