Style Error: Molecular Ecology

Hi,

There seems to be an error in the Molecular Ecology citation style for inline citations that have the same first author in the same year.

Sometimes these inline citations perform correctly in that they will come up as: (Baldwin et al. 2006a; Baldwin et al. 2006b).

However, for some authors instead of disambiguating with a, b, c, etc. the inline citation adds the second author instead: (Baldwin, Delis, et al. 2006, Baldwin, Greenwald, et al. 2006).

I tried to edit the citation style, but couldn't figure out why this would happen with some authors but not others. I'd appreciate it if someone could help me solve this.

Thanks,
Stephanie
  • do you have an example from a published article that the disambiguation by adding a second author is incorrect? It's quite common, so either could be correct in general, but if the current behavior isn't right, it's easy to fix. (remove disambiguate-add-names )
  • Hi adam,

Thanks for the tip.

Yes, I do have an example from a published article (see below).

Article: Solmsen et al. (2011) Highly asymmetric fine-scale genetic structure between sexes of African striped mice and indication for condition dependent alternative male dispersal tactics. Molecular Ecology 20: 1624-1634.

References therein: Schradin et al. 2010a, Schradin et al. 2010b
  • Great, thanks!
    The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by re-installing it from the repository. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)

Styles should also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know.
  • HI all,

it seems the style for Molecular Ecology citation has completely changed.

here is the new norm (note the unusual '&' or '...' preceding the last author, depending if there are <=7 or >7 authors):

"1.Journal article

Example of reference with 2 to 7 authors:
    Beers, S. R. , & De Bellis, M. D. (2002). Neuropsychological function in children with maltreatment-related posttraumatic stress disorder. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 159, 483–486. doi:10.1176/appi.ajp.159.3.483

Ramus, F., Rosen, S., Dakin, S. C., Day, B. L., Castellote, J. M., White, S., & Frith, U. (2003). Theories of developmental dyslexia: Insights from a multiple case study of dyslexic adults. Brain, 126(4), 841–865. doi: 10.1093/brain/awg076

Example of reference with more than 7 authors Rutter, M., Caspi, A., Fergusson, D., Horwood, L. J., Goodman, R., Maughan, B., … Carroll, J. (2004). Sex differences in developmental reading disability: New findings from 4 epidemiological studies. Journal of the American Medical Association, 291(16), 2007–2012. doi: 10.1001/jama.291.16.2007

2. Book edition

Bradley-Johnson, S. (1994). Psychoeducational assessment of students who are visually impaired or blind: Infancy through high school (2nd ed.). Austin, TX: Pro-ed.
    "
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1365-294X/homepage/ForAuthors.html

Can someone implement that as a Zotero style please?

Many thanks!!!

Florent
  • We´ll fix the style, but it´s just this one: https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:apa-old-doi-prefix
  • edited July 17, 2017
    Completely changed is a bit exaggerated. We'll get it fixed in the next days. ;)

edit:
    @florent.lasalle
    Check this one. Let me know if there is errors.: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/POBrien333/styles/5cf43297e8738cc35b7886d7dc9a036cf078a50f/molecular-ecology.csl
  • ha great, thank you very much! I used the APA one for the moment as it seems fine. after submission I'll give a try to the molecol above to see if that works
  • @damnation -- we can't make this a dependent style? What's different from APA?
  • ahh damn. Waste of my time. I just adapted the style as necessary. I'll double check later and make the move to a dependent if necessary.
  • @adamsmith
    APA:
    Campbell, J. L., & Pedersen, O. K. (2007). The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success. Comparative Political Studies, 40(3), 307–332. https://doi.org/10.1177/0010414006286542

vs

My name style I made for Mol Ecol:
    Campbell, J. L., & Pedersen, O. K. (2007). The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success. Comparative Political Studies, 40, 307–332. doi: 10.1177/0010414006286542

Also, I used the "Search by Example" site to find a style to base it on and it didn't tell me APA (although I should've based it on it for robustness).
  • Well, I was suggesting APA with the old DOI prefix, which we also have (see my post above). Then the only issue left is the issue number, which presumably actually follows the same rules as APA (only include w journals that aren't continuously pagainated)
  • edited July 20, 2017
    Ahhhh. Hadn't even seen your post. We must've been typing at the same time. I'll get this done as a dependent then. Thanks :)
    edit: dealt with here: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/pull/2825