Style Error: [Annales. Histoire Sciences sociales]

There is a problem with the style "Annales". When I try to refer to a chapter instead of a page, chapter 4 for instance, the result in the citation is "p.4".

Here is the link to the style code:
https://gist.github.com/ettei/6772424

Can it be fixed?
  • Could you contact the style author first. Her e-mail is at the top of the style, she should be able to fix that. If you don't hear back I can take a look.
  • fixed by author, the style here https://gist.github.com/anonymous/6775953 should solve the problem. adamsmith, my github access is broken, could you add it to the repository please?

As soon as I have a little more time, I will go through the old legacy styles I contributed, there must be others with hard-coded pages...
  • The style fix is up, thanks clio_13.
    The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by re-installing it from the repository. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)

Styles should also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know.

@clio: You have contacted github support? They're quite responsive normally.
    If you do look at old styles, which would be great, also consider using cs:substitute instead of if/else-if for authors and editors. That' not just more elegant, but also typically produces better outcomes.
  • I still think there is something funny going on with the Annales Style.

First I am not sure it is helpful that the style adds a dot at the end of citations (easy to fix, I fixed that with the visual editor).

Second and most troubling, why does the style add, at the end of the citations of books, the number of volumes followed by a slash ? I tried to fix that with the visual editor, but I did not succeed...
  • periods at the end of footnotes/citations are standard in CSL, so those will stay. For longer footnotes you can use prefix/suffix to combine multiple citations.

I'll let clio_13 speak to the slash issue. The general idea in the style seems to be that you'd have both a volume and # of volumes entry and then get: "vol. #vols/vol" Seems to me that should be done with a group delimiter, but I'll wait for clio on that.
  • I get it for the periods - and i changed it myself for my own use.

The funny thing with the slash issue is that all the citations in the footnotes start mentionning the number of volumes even for books with a single volume, which results in the multiplication of an awkward "1 vol./" at the end of every title you mention in footnotes...

it seems that one can restrict the precision of the volume number to periodicals, i tried to edit the style that way, but i did not succeed
  • Right, I've had a look - it seems the old instructions I worked from which wanted an indication of volumes (with a slash to separate the volume in question from the total) have disappeared, the current page makes no mention of this http://annales.ehess.fr/index.php?212 - I'd suggest we leave it out completely. The whole thing is compounded by the translator for the main French library catalogue SUDOC automatically pulling in "1" into volume for every single book entry, i.e. lots of people have this info in their reference data.

I'm travelling at the moment, making editing the style and resubmitting a bit tricky. I can try and remember when I get back or let someone else remove the volume macro.
  • The whole thing is compounded by the translator for the main French library catalogue SUDOC automatically pulling in "1" into volume for every single book entry, i.e. lots of people have this info in their reference data.
    Yes, and that's very annoying. I always remove these "1" manually. And I wonder if there's many styles (if any) which require to display "1 vol.".
    But rather than updating the SUDOC (PICA) translator in order *not* to save this piece of information (which I first thought), maybe the CSL specs could be amended to make a difference between one and several vols ?
  • But if you're citing, say, volume 1 of 3 you'd want the 1 treated like any other number, right? I'd be inclined to say let's fix this in SUDOC (other advantage being that we can do whatever we want in javascript, whereas CSL is rather restrictive), but maybe I'm overlooking something?
  • Hum. I don't follow. But it's true that I read the thread too quickly ;-) I had in mind a slightly different issue that what was reported.

As to the specific issue mentioned here, the "Annales" style could be fixed by checking that both fields ("number of vols" and "volume") have a content (using a group delimiter). That's what you (adamsmith) wrote above.

What's more common with the style I use is to get "1 vol. (525 p.)" whereas I just need "525 p.", but I figure now that I can fix that in the style with the logic you described (i.e. if I rely on the fact that in these cases the "volume" field is probably empty even if the number-of-vols stores something...)

It seems to me that what's at stake here is whether we should assume that an empty vol/nb-of-vols field means that there just one volume. (a style can assume that ; a library catalog should not : what about Zotero ?) => Once this is "decided" (perhaps it has been), the recommended practice regarding these "1" follows.
  • I think we can assume that if there's nothing in either the volume or the number of volumes field then yes, we have a single-volume book.
    I don't see why a library catalog shouldn't assume that. I believe that's the way books are entered in MARC/MABI (and hence most library catalogs), too - volume nos. only for multi-volume books. I have no idea why that's different for SUDOC, might be they're using a different MARC field to map to the PICA display, I'd have to take a look.

Generally speaking, styles need to handle situations where you have just a number-of-volumes variable and no volume variable to cite a complete multi-volume book. The reverse would typically be incomplete data (i.e. a volume but no number-of-volumes), so you could code a style to just render volume when you have number-of-volumes but I'd be reluctant to do that on the repo, as we often don't import that.

Does someone have a good SUDOC example I could look at so this makes more sense to me?
  • edited April 29, 2014
    I don't see why a library catalog shouldn't assume that. I believe that's the way books are entered in MARC/MABI (and hence most library catalogs), too - volume nos.
    Indeed !
    so you could code a style to just render volume when you have number-of-volumes
    What do you mean ?

Is it a good example for you : http://www.sudoc.fr/059762772 ?
  • so you could code a style to just render volume when you have number-of-volumes

What do you mean ?
    never mind - I thought SUDOC imported into Volume not # of Volumes all along. This makes more sense now and I also understand why you think we should do that in CSL now. I still think we should keep this simple in CSL and fix it on import, I'll have a look, since we're parsing this anyway that shouldn't be hard.
  • (we fixed Sudoc in the meantime)
  • I've removed number of volumes from the annales style
  • Hello
    For the "1 vol." before the pagination, it is probably useless in references exported in Zotero, but - for information- , it has nothing to do with MARC flavor. It was introduced in french standard (AFNOR Standard NZ 44-050) in a 2005 revision, and this new practice is followed in Sudoc catalogue, but also by french national library.
    The goal was to make french standard as close as possible to ISBD. At that time, it was ISBD(M). Since 2007, there is a consolidated version of ISBD, which still prescribes the use of "xx vol" as the "physical unit(s)" constituting the ressource (I'm not an expert, just a former cataloguer ;) ).
    http://www.ifla.org/files/assets/cataloguing/isbd/isbd-cons_2007-en.pdf

"5.1.1
    The first element of the physical description area names and numbers the physical unit or units constituting the resource, adding other measures of extent as appropriate. The specific material designation identifies the particular type of material to which the resource belongs and is given in the language chosen by the cataloguing agency. When none of the specific material designation terms recommended in Appendix C is appropriate, a specific material designation such as “vol.”, “parts”, or “folder” is given."

Mathieu Saby