Need help making small changes to citation style

Hello everyone,

In writing my Master's thesis in history, I use Zotero to handle both secondary litterature and primary source documents. I have about 4000 of the latter in Zotero. My chosen citation style is the standard Chicago 16th ed. with full footnotes. This works like a charm, except for two relatively minor issues that I hope you can help me resolve.

I assume both issues can be resolved quite easily through slight modifications of the citation styles. But with no understanding of how this is done, I ask for your help. I've tried to get into modifying this on my own, but it's way beyond my skills.

These are the two issues I need to figure out:

1. To create an orderly chronology in my primary source document collection, every document has been given a specific date. While I am able to put definite dates on most documents, there are some instances of uncertainty. There, I add an approximate date. Within Zotero, I simply add an asterisk (*) to the end of these approximate dates. However, in a given citation produced by Zotero, the asterisks are stripped away. I need them included in the citations.

2. Under the Chicago style, when Document A is first cited, the result is a "full" footnote, with names, dates, archival origins, etc. If A is then cited again immediately thereafter, the resulting footnote will be a simple "Ibid." Both are fine for my needs.

However, if Document A is first cited, followed by a citation of Document B, then followed by another citation of Document A, that last footnote will be abbreviated to include only the document name. Due to the large amount of documents I use, and the fact that many of them have identical names despite being different documents created on different dates, those abbreviated footnotes won't suffice. I need to force Zotero to present all document citations IN FULL, except when a simple Ibid. can be used. I've made a screenshot of what I'm referring to here (http://larsmigrant.com/Pankov/Zotero_citation_style_issue.jpg). The citations marked green are as I wish them to be, those marked red are the problems. (Disregard the [C#0501] codes, these are temporary code numbers I use to keep track of documents.)

If at all possible, I'd like this citation style modification to operate ONLY when the "Item Type" for the given Zotero object is "Document". All my primary source documents are registered in Zotero with that Item Type. Books and other Item Types can be cited according to the standard Chicago rules since there is little chance of confusion for these.
  • 1. Doesn't have anything to do with the citation style and can't be done with Zotero's current date handling. If you replace the * with an underscore (_) that will show up in the citations and you can use search&replace at the end of the editing process to fix that.
    Unfortunately that's the best I have

2. If you just delete the entire <else-if "subsequent"> section, i.e.
    <else-if position="subsequent">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="contributors-short"/>
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="title-short"/>
    <text macro="date-disambiguate"/>
    <text macro="case-locator-subsequent"/>
    </group>
    <text macro="case-issue-subsequent"/>
    </group>
    <text macro="point-locators-subsequent"/>
    </group>
    </else-if>

you'll never get the short form for citations.
    Doing this just for documents only is going to be a bit of a nightmare, in particular because of the document item type, which you can't test for directly.