Right click -> 'show file' opens image viewer on text files and other types.

I'm running Zotero standalone 4.0.11 on openSuse 12.3 (64bit) on KDE 4.10.5 (Release 1), with Qt 4.8.4.

Whenever I right click on an attached file in Zotero (E.g. a pdf, or another kind of file) and select "show file". Zotero runs "gwenview", which is an image viewer, on the containing folder.
E.g. "/path/to/zotero/profile/storage/CQ8EQBIX/".

I would expect it to open the folder browser ("dolphin" on my platform), instead. How can I fix this?

Zotero is really giving me headaches with all these malfunctioning mime-types. I know that for pdfs and web-sites I had to fiddle with the gnome mime-types in "~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list". How can I change the default behaviour for folders as well?
  • Zotero is really giving me headaches with all these malfunctioning mime-types.
    This is not a problem of Zotero's making. You're using an OS with about a half dozen different ways to configure file-opening behavior and no native file reveal functionality. All Zotero does is send things into that mess—it's up to you to make the system do what you want.

Out of curiosity, does Firefox's download list get this right, if you right-click and choose Open Containing Folder?

Specifically with file revealing, Zotero first tries to run Mozilla's file.reveal() function, and when that fails (which it generally does on Linux), it "launches" the parent folder via the OS, using Mozilla's file.launch() function. (What launching "via the OS" means on Linux is generally a deep mystery.) If that also fails—which can happen for various reasons, so you'd have to check for "launch() not supported -- trying fallback executable" in the debug output for the action to see whether that was the case—it runs the executable specified in extensions.zotero.fallbackLauncher.unix in about:config, which defaults to xdg-open. (I don't remember off-hand where xdg-open gets its settings, so if the debug output does indicate that that's being used, you could look into that.) And finally, if xdg-open also fails, it passes the file URL to Mozilla's external helper app (i.e., open/save) window.
  • Hi aherrmann,

I think that fix this problem.

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/34566/show-file-not-open-file-manager/#Comment_179026

Best regards,

Mario