Adding citations in Word 2013 changes Markup view

Word 2013 added a great new feature for viewing changes in documents. The "Simple Markup" view allows you to see the document in the final form with small highlights in the sidebar to show where changes have been made. The problem is that, when viewing a document in this way, any change made using Zotero changes the view to "all markup" instead.

This would be a minor issue, except that the change is also often accompanied by seemingly random scrolling in the document. So when I go to insert a citation, for example, I am all of a sudden looking at a completely different portion of my document.

Now I'm not sure if this is a problem on Zotero's side or Word's, but I thought I'd pass it along in case anyone here can help me fix it.
  • I've got this issue too - could anyone suggest a fix for this please? All I've found so far is to avoid using tracked changes, but that's far from ideal. Thanks
  • Has there been any update on this issue? It is biting me at the moment.
  • Have the same thing happening with the latest Z5 and Word 2016. Any updates? My coauthor is getting annoyed that I'm pushing Z which messes track review up :/
  • Zotero sets the markup view to “Show all markup”. Zotero doesn’t really mess up tracked changes—it is easy enough to set the view back to “simple markup” if that is preferrred. The issue is that “simple markup” is a new view in Word 2016, and it is difficult to make code to save the user’s tracked changes view settings that will work for every version of Word on Windows and Mac.
  • I have a solution for you. Just work on the document in a new file without tracking changes, then compare your new document with the old version and save the compared version in a new document. Should work.
    See here:
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/147756/article.html
  • edited July 5, 2018
    I have the problem that inserting a citation causes Word to switch to "All Markup" even if previously "No Markup" was selected. I am not using Track Changes, which is known to cause problems with Zotero, but my document does have comments. Thus, after inserting a citation in a commented paragraph, the paragraph gets "commented" highlighting, which overrides the "field" highlighting of the just inserted citation, which is annoying.
    Obviously, Gogol1967's solution won't work in this case.

Edit: it's is Word 2016/Mac, in my case
  • Have the exact problem and it's getting quite annoying: switched track changes to 'Simple Markup' > Inserted Citation > Document turned into All Markup

@Gogol1967 's workaround isn't a solution when you share documents with many others. Not everyone has time for that
  • Do note that when they say “compare”, they are referring to using Word’s “compare document” function which generates tracked changes by comparing two documents, not manually looking for changes.
  • Same problem here as @mscmilan.

An alternative work-around would be to assign keyboard shortcuts in word.

For the start/stop track changes this is possible, but I would personally prefer to be able to assign a keyboard shortcut for switching to the 'simple markup' setting in word (as it seems less risky than messing with track changes on/off , as it only influences a display option).

HOWEVER, i can't seem to find the word-command in the assign shortcut menu, so if anyone knows the name of the word command for 'simple markup' please share, much appreciated !

(for info: I asked on the Office forum how to assign a keyboard shortcut to 'simple markup' display for review, but it seems as if no one is willing to answer the simple question of which command to assign the shortcut to , instead they blame zotero since I have the latest update and the issue is still there. See : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10-mso_2016/word-2016-simple-markup/c4ce0464-c74d-4930-8d66-9eb172756995?tm=1540243059577&auth=1)

Sorry for reviving dead posts but as the issue seems unresolved so people might appreciate an update/workaround.
  • You received a very helpful answer there in the form of a Macro. Implement that macro, then assign that to a keyboard shortcut. (Word also lets you record macros, which would presumably do the same.)
  • Sorry for the late response, but thanks for the follow up, keep up the good work, zotero rocks !