accessibility question

Hey Everyone,

I use Zotero for a week now, and I'm surprised at how great it works. However, there is something I still don't understand. Maybe someone can help me here.

First, I am blind and use a Screenreader (JAWS 13, Browser: FF 22, Zotero 4.0).

Now my question: Need the translators to be accessed over the icon in the address bar, or is there some other way to get metadata from a website (context menu, shortcut etc.)? The thing is: I cannot get the translators to work (I tried Zeit.de and nytimes.com). I can only make a bookmark of a website in Zotero, by selecting "Zotero" from the context menu, but then only website title and current date are saved, but no other metadata (author...).

I tried for some hours to figure this out but had no luck. Any Ideas what I could do?
yaun23
  • Is the address bar icon not showing up for you, or is it not working? I'm actually not totally sure how accessible the address bar icon is, so you should let us know if you're having trouble accessing it. We've long planned to add an equivalent keyboard shortcut, but right now the icon is the only way.

Note, also, that you have to be on a New York Times article page to get the icon. It won't show up on the front page. You can also try on, for example, an Amazon product page.
  • Based on this other thread, I'm guessing the address bar icon isn't very accessible.

There are some workarounds described there, but we should just fix this for Zotero 4.0.10. I'll follow up in that thread.
  • Thanks for the quick responses,
    I didn't check with a sighted person yet, if the icon is actually there. I suppose it is, and I just can't locate it. As it's explained in the other thread you linked, Icons seem a little tricky for assistive technology.

In the meantime, i tried an amazon product page as you suggested, with the same result. The page itself can be added to Zotero, but without any further information. But thanks to the other forum entry, I'll next test the workaround. Let's see if that can do the job.
  • If you can't figure out the workaround, just wait a day or two. Once we decide on a keyboard shortcut we should be able to have a dev build with the shortcut functionality out very quickly.
  • The setting up of both add-ons indeed looks pretty difficult... I'd then rather wait for the shortcut Option. I really think that this would make Zotero better accessible for visually impaired People.
  • Zotero 4.0.10 is now out with a shortcut (Ctrl-Shift-S on Windows and Linux, Cmd-Shift-S on a Mac) for Save to Zotero.