Style Error: Icarus

The Icarus CSL style is incorrectly formatting in-text citations. Instead of by date (the true style format), the citations are listed alphabetically. That is, the in-text citation should be (Smith, 1980; Jones, 1990) but instead it is appearing as (Jones, 1990; Smith, 1980).

The following copy/paste job is an excerpt of a sentence from an Icarus paper, Barnouin et al., 2012: "These factors include the density, strength, porosity, nature of the porosity (macro- versus micro-porosity), heterogeneities, and curvature of the target surface (e.g., Cintala et al., 1978; Fujiwara et al., 1993; Holsapple, 1993; Asphaug et al., 1996; Cheng and Barnouin-Jha, 1999; Housen and Holsapple, 2003; Schultz et al., 2005; Barnouin-Jha et al., 2003, 2005)...."

I'm not savvy enough to fix this error myself - can anyone help or update the style? Looks like the last update was 04-25-2013 in the Zotero repository and 04-22-2013 in the GitHub repository.

Thanks!
  • "There are no strict requirements on reference formatting. References can be in any style or format as long as the style is consistent."
    http://www.elsevier.com/journals/icarus/0019-1035/guide-for-authors#20300

The style we have up for Icarus is a generic style used in hundreds of Elsevier journals, that seems good enough to me.
  • "The reference style required by the journal will be applied to the published version by Elsevier." 2nd sentence below the one you quoted http://www.elsevier.com/journals/icarus/0019-1035/guide-for-authors#20300

Published reference format for Icarus requires in-text citation according to date, not alphabetical. It would be nice to have the Icarus style reflect the actual reference style employed by Icarus publications - one less thing to deal with for page proofs, not to mention picky coauthors and collaborators. I've already been coauthor on a publication that had incorrect references in the page proofs because the Elsevier copy editors didn't do their job.

If it's too much to ask for, then I'll muddle my way through making my own style so that my manuscripts have the proper Icarus formatting during the pre-submission stage.
  • The issue is not so much the coding - which is likely just switching two lines - as the fact that the Icarus style is auto-generated from a list supplied by Elsevier itself. Working with such lists provided by various publishers saves us a _ton_ of work and so I'm not very motivated to move styles that are auto-generated from lists back to individually coded&maintained styles.
  • Okay, fair enough. I completely understand using auto-generated styles from the publishers -- although that doesn't help me with my coauthors and PhD advisor.

Would you be willing to give me a hint as to where to begin so that I can update a duplicate Icarus style for my Zotero CSL database? If not, no biggie - I'll just manually chronologize - because I am not a big programmer.
  • provided the current style is correct otherwise, you want to start with the style "Elsevier's Harvard"
    Follow the general instructions here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step

And specifically find this
    <sort>
    <key macro="author"/>
    <key macro="issued" sort="descending"/>
    </sort>

and change it to

<sort>
    <key macro="issued"/>
    <key macro="author"/>
    </sort>

Make sure you change the style's id, title, and filename, as specified in the instructions
  • Thanks so much - worked like a charm. I appreciate your help on this issue.