Logging in twice....

Ok, I'll admit up front that I am an idiot. The ways I find to shoot myself in the foot...

I went to the local college library tonight and tried to access my Zotero account. I could login, but trying to use tags hung the system. I could open a note for editing, but could not save it. I realized immediately that I had left my computer at home logged into my account.

(1) If I am already logged in somewhere else, then I should get an error message that user XYZ is already logged in, and I shouldn't be allowed to diddle with a second login session. I can see no benefit to a crippled session.

(2) Given 1, it would be sweet to have the option to terminate the other session.

I'm glad I made this mistake driving 10 minutes to the local college library, and not after having driven two hours to the big University library!!

(3) I think the problem was caused by saying that I wanted to "stay logged in" on my PC. When I got home I did have Zotero standalone running, but I had no browser window open. I do not have automatic updates enabled. I update manually.

So I'm a little confused exactly why I shot myself in the foot. Next time before going to library, I'll be sure to log off the server, and to shut down Zotero standalone. I have successfully used my Zotero account before from the local college library.
  • I'm 99% sure the login wasn't the problem. Since the website works with the API it shouldn't care (I don't even think it is aware of) open logins on other computers. Zotero logins aren't session, hence no timeout.

My guess would be that you hit either a snag with the website or happened to use a slow computer that struggled with the javascript of the zotero page.
  • It very well could be a slow computer problem. I was using one of the "public" computers at the library and the public computers are the dinosaurs. I used a different computer tonight.

It didn't occur to me to ask to try a different computer.

Thanks Adam!
  • Adam was right. Problem is old and slow computers without much memory at the college library. Zotero won't run correctly on any of the four set aside for public access.
  • Please close this. The problem had nothing to do with logging in twice.
This discussion has been closed.