Page range

I would like to know how it is possible to work on the page-range-format property. I mean: how it is possible to change these characteristics in a precise way? I have a very complicated rule for a journal, and I am wondering whether it is possible to change it.

In addition to this, I have seen that, when I change the page-range-format in the beginning of the csl file, the page range of the article changes, but not the page range of the locators.

For example, when I cite an article and ask for the minimal page range, I have this: 288-98; but a locator in a book will be: 288-298.

Here are the rules I have to follow (very close to Chicago):

"If the first number is less than 100, use all digits: 1–10, 71–75, 96–115. For 100 or multiples of 100, use all digits: 100–104, 600–618. From 101 through 109 and multiples, use changed part only: 106–7, 503–17, 1002–7. From 110 through 199 and multiples, use two digits, or more if needed: 321–25, 415–532, 1536–38. Inclusive dates follow the same system; see Chicago Manual 9.63. Examples: the war of 1914–18; AD 300–325; the fiscal year 1975–76 or 1975/76 (otherwise, avoid the solidus [slash, virgule])."

Thank you in advance
  • The different page range formats are hardcoded into the CSL processor, and cannot be customized beyond the options currently available available in CSL 1.0.1: http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#appendix-v-page-range-formats

I think the "page-range-format" attribute also should affect locator page ranges. @fbennett?
  • the rules you cite are exactly Chicago:
    http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#appendix-v-page-range-formats
    you can't change details of rules - CSL has four settings: chicago, minimal, expanded, minimal-two and that's all you can choose from.

I see the locator issue. The specs aren't clear on whether page-range-format should apply to locators. As you say it currently doesn't in Zotero (and any other software using the same processor).
  • Thank you very much for these so rapid and precise answers.
    I though that Chicago had not the 100-104 feature (I though it was 100-4).
    I will change manualy the page range for the locators, it is only a 35 pages article.
  • edited May 14, 2013
    The problem is that the locator field could contain things other than page ranges, and often those should not be collapsed. For simplicity, I left it for manual adjustment, which isn't a huge burden in most cases. We could apply range collapsing to locator content that is identified as a page number, but it might take awhile to implement.
  • @Messensi: The processor should be producing 100-104 with the Chicago rule.
  • I have a slight preference for doing this automatically (with an implicit if locator="page" as you suggest), but don't feels strongly about that.
    I do feel more strongly about making sure this is in the specs and unified across processors - will move this to xbiblio when I have time (or anyone else should feel free to).
  • thread for locators is here: http://xbiblio-devel.2463403.n2.nabble.com/page-range-format-for-locators-td7578609.html
    Looks like this will be automated for locators, too.