Zotero Custom Directory and Profile locations

Hello

System details:
Win7, 64-bit
C: (SSD) - Contains OS + few programs
D: (HDD) - Most programs + All data

I have just installed Zotero Standalone (Z-S) on my D: (data drive). In an effort to minimize the amount of space I use on (C:), I try to move cache's, and temporary directories on to (D:). Zotero, as many programs do, still installs plenty in the User Profile directory even when a custom installation location is specified. http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data

When I click show data directory, this is the path:
C:\Users\j****\AppData\Roaming\Zotero\Zotero\Profiles\c*****8.default\zotero

According to the above link, this is how to point to a custom data directory -
"Also, when pointing the data directory location to an existing directory, be sure to specify the parent directory containing zotero.sqlite and 'storage', not the 'storage' directory itself."

In my case that would be the above path (lowercase zotero folder contains zotero.sqlite as well as other files).

Since one must manually copy and paste into the desired custom location before pointing to it, my question is whether only the parent directory should be moved or the entire Profile? If only the parent directory (zotero.sqlite, storage, locate, ...etc) is moved then everything in Zotero\Profiles\c*****8.default\ (which has a bunch of configuration, cookies, extensions and other files) is still in the old location.

Is that how it is supposed to work or should the entire Roaming\Zotero directory be pasted in a place of my choosing followed by pointing to the \zotero folder a couple levels down as custom directory and Zotero automatically knows that the profile info is above it?

I know this is confusing. Sorry for being verbose but please read through and try to answer if you have successfully dealt with this. I think it it would be beneficial to many to know.
  • The data directory pertains only to 'zotero'.

The profile directory is separate, but in theory you can move that too:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/28063/solved-launch-zotero-with-custom-profile-folder-path/

I don't know that we've ever tested that, though.
  • (But if you do use a different profile directory and leave the data directory setting at its default, I would imagine it would look for the data directory within the relocated profile directory, so you don't necessarily have to do both.)
  • edited March 6, 2013
    I don't think I can answer all of this, but the answer to
    Since one must manually copy and paste into the desired custom location before pointing to it, my question is whether only the parent directory should be moved or the entire Profile
    is just the parent folder, i.e. the lowercase "zotero" folder that has the zotero.sqlite in it, not the uppercase Zotero folder that has the Profile(s) in it. I don't think it'd be easy to move the other info - i.e. the profile(s) - after installation - though don't you have the option of specifiying a folder during install?

edit: I'll leave this here, but what Dan says.
  • Wow, thanks for the quick feedback.

Adam - I did specify a custom D:\ location during install but I think the profiles are always created where the user folder is. I know some people use junctions to point to a newly located Windows 7 User folder but I had problems with getting that to work and felt it would cause problems for certain programs.

Dan - Thank you. I don't know how to use a different profile directory or think that I even need to at the moment so I'll be satisfied just moving the data off the SSD.
  • One quirk I noticed the first time I tried to move the directory - the Mircosoft Word plugin installer started showing as not installed and gave an error if I would try to install it through Zotero preferences.

Weirdly enough (maybe because I had everything as default for a while?) the plugin still worked just fine in Word.
  • Yes, the profile location is unrelated to the application directory, which is what you choose during installation.
    I don't know how to use a different profile directory
    The thread I linked to has instructions. But the profile directory isn't very big, so I would just leave it where it is.
  • Excellent - thank you both!
  • Just wanted to add one more thing that might be helpful since many people also use the Firefox extension.

I installed the Firefox addon after making the above changes to my directory location. You may remember that once Standalone is installed, when installing the Firefox addon/extension, Zotero asks if you would like to have the settings imported from Standalone to Browser. For me, that did not come up this time. In order to not have a fragmented directory, you must make the same change in Firefox (or your browser of choice).

I went to change the data directory location once again (it was set to a custom location within a different profile) and simply pointed it to the same one used for the Standalone.

I have read of a few instances of users finding that it would not save these settings between sessions but I tested it multiple times and the settings held.

Now if I add anything in the browser, it should save it in the same custom data directory. It is my understanding that on the same computer, the extension and standalone both share information from that directory rather than through the server. I just tested it and indeed any changes made in either Standalone or Firefox showup instantly in the other even without syncing. If you do sync then it will show up on the web and any other computers with the Zotero client. I know that's how it is supposed to work so happy that it is and that it helped me procrastinate mostly.
This discussion has been closed.