Trouble saving edited citation style

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the world of citation editing, so sorry if I don't put this in enough detail.

I recently edited the Chicago (note) style to fit my requirements using the tips on this thread: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/6235/

Worked great, and was exactly what I wanted. So thanks for that!

But I found that after a couple of days, the "Chicago (note)" style would always revert to the way it was before my edits. This has happened three times now.

I tried saving my edited style under a different name, and installing it. But this won't show up on my options on "Set Documents preferences".

Obviously I can continue to resave and reinstall the edited code in Chicago (note), but it's a bit annoying that it keeps disappearing...

Thanks for any help!
  • I should add, I'm using Zotero in Firefox, in case that makes a difference.
  • you want to change the "id" field in the style to something unique - that's what Zotero uses to identify styles it updates automatically.
  • Aha, that sounds extremely promising, thank you! But I'm a bit rubbish and can't see where this "id" field is.

Is it in the text of the style? Could you give me an example so I can see what I'm looking for?

Thanks again.
  • edited February 24, 2013
    Yes, it's in the style and it likely would currently look like this
    <id>http://www.zotero.org/styles/chicago-note-bibliography</id>;
    You can change it to anything you want (leaving the <id> tags in place, obviously). You can leave the zotero.org part even if the id won't exist as a URL or you can delete it.
    Only recommendation would be to no use any special characters or letters with diacritics in the id.

To be safe you should change the line that starts with <link and has rel="self" in it but I'm pretty sure changing the id is enough.
  • That's great, thank you!
    And thanks again for taking the time with the Author (Date) footnote style stuff - totally the norm in my field (Classics), and really helpful.