Style Error: [Science of the Total Environment]

This style is working very well, but it has a couple of small errors, I think.

(1) From what I can tell, the

disambiguate-add-names="true"

should be removed from the statement that formats the citations in the text. According to the journal's author guide, citations in the text should look like this: "... Three or more authors: first author's name followed by 'et al.' and the year of publication."

So, when you're citing two articles published in the same year by the same primary author with different coauthors, it would appear as (Smith et al. 1999a, Smith et al. 1999b)

(2) Also, the

subsequent-author-substitute="———"

should be removed from the bibliography-formatting part. In the journal, the authors' names seem to be listed for every bibliography entry.

That's it. Thanks!
  • do you have an example for 1? From the style guide it's not clear how such a citation should be handled.
  • Whoa. That was fast.

See, for example, the citations for Xu et al., 2011a,b in this current article:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969713001198

That's similar to the situation I'm dealing with.

Thanks for your help!
  • thanks - that was what I was looking for. I'll let you know when it's fixed.
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by re-installing it from the repository. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)
    Any further problems please let us know.
  • edited February 21, 2013
    Thank you!

Now I have a question that probably belongs on a different forum. When I re-install the style in Firefox, nothing seems to change! The style manager still shows that the style was updated on 10/26/2012, and the style in MS Word seems unchanged. (I'm using Zotero in Firefox, not standalone.) What am I doing wrong?

When I click "view source" on the style repository page, I can SEE that you've made the changes to the style. And when I used a different browser to download the csl file to my computer, it downloaded the updated file. I installed that with the style manager and it works perfectly. So why can't I install it from the style library in Firefox?

Anyway... thanks for making the changes!
  • So you go to the repository in Firefox, click on the style, Zotero asks you if you want to update the style and you click OK?
  • Yeah.

You don't have to troubleshoot this for me, if you don't want. The csl file is clearly fine... like I said, I managed to download the updated file with another browser and then install that style through Zotero.

Just couldn't update the style through firefox. I couldn't even find a way to just download the csl file through firefox - my only option is to "install" it.
  • Well, this clearly should work. I know it's not a problem with the style, but still.

You can download the style using right-click --> save link as.

You're sure the date hasn't changed in the style manager?
    In order for the changes to take effect in an existing document, you'll likely have to switch to a different style and back.
  • Oh, "save link as." Don't know why I thought that wasn't the right choice. I was expecting it to say something else, like "save target as." Well, thanks for clearing that up for me, anyway!

Yes, I'm sure the date hadn't changed. I even deleted the style, closed the browser, opened it back up, reinstalled the style from the site, and the date on the newly installed style was the old date.

I did switch to another style and back in the Word document, but it just came back to the old version of this style. I probably should have just shut the whole thing off and gone for coffee.
  • Coffee is a good idea, always.
    When you come back, there is a "Reset Styles" button in the advanced tab of the Zotero preferences. Do that, then re-install the style. That should really work.
  • So, I had the updated style installed, like I said, right? But just to see what would happen I clicked "reset styles" (no apparent effect on its own - the style manager was still showing yesterday's date for this style). Then I went to the style repository and reinstalled the style by clicking on the link, and now my style manager is back to showing the old date for the style. Weird, right?

Anyway, now that you've taught me what "save link as" means, I'm going to go reinstall the version I downloaded that way, and get back to writing about science and stuff. Thanks again for responding so quickly. Possibly the most responsive customer service on the Internet... and all for a product I didn't even pay for. Thanks!