chicago-author-date.csl: Page numbers missing for newspaper and magazine articles

In chicago-author-date.csl, page numbers are missing for newspaper and magazine articles.

I am aware that CMoS considers page numbers to be optional here:

Magazines (14.199) “… the inclusive page numbers of an article may be omitted …”

Newspapers (14.203) “… page numbers may usually be omitted …” (but see examples in 14.209 and 15.47 which include them)

However, precisely because this is optional, and many users might want or need them (I certainly do) my suggestion would be to make the inclusion of page numbers the default, and let the users decide: The ones who do not want or need page numbers can easily remove them or move them to a note while those who do need them could get them without further complications.

Thank you.
  • sorry, I had a look at this and I decided against this. My reading of the CMoS here is that page ranges (as opposed to specific page nos, which you can cite as locators) are quite unusual for magazines and newspapers - I couldn't find a single example of how they'd look in the manual.

As for your point about options, asking users to remove (correct) data from their items is never considered an acceptable solution, neither by CSL, nor by Zotero. If you need formatting that differs from the mainstream interpretation of CMoS (and since CMoS has a lot of "can" and "may" conditions that can come up quite a bit), your best bet is to customize your version of the style. I see in one of your other threads that you've looked at the code already, so that doesn't seem like it'd be prohibitively hard for you, if you have specific questions feel free to ask and we'll do our best to help (don't forget to mention you're using Pandoc - I know, but other people will assume Zotero).