Footnote bug ?

Hi there,

Since today I'm having a problem while inserting footnotes with Zotero. Each time I insert a citation, it appears with two or three extra lines. This problem repeats every time I refresh citations.

It begun with one of my PCs, but in the evening I tried with my other PC and I found the same problem in the second PC.

I had tried anything I can : I tried editing styles in OO; I uninstalled both OO and Zotero and reinstalled it; I tried with Zotero Standalone and the problem persist.

Can you help me ??? I'm a huge Zotero fan. My thesis depends on it !

greetings,

pablo
  • have you tried different citation styles? Which citation style are you using? This is, frankly, much more likely an Open Office problem than a Zotero problem.
  • Have you tried LibreOffice? It works the same as OO, but it more actively maintained and is known to work better with Zotero.
  • Hi Adam,
    Hi fbennett,

Thank you very much for answering. I have tried changing citation styles, but it didn't work. I'm currently using "Chicago Manual Style (full note)". I changed two or three times, same result.

And I had just tried with LibreOffice and it continues to do the same thing: each time I make a citation with Zotero it adds some two or three empty lines. Even those footnotes containing text and citations are dismembered in paragraphs and, in the final line of each footnote, the empty lines.

At the beginning, I also thought it was an OO problem, but when I saw that exactly the same thing happened in my second PC, I was very puzzled. And now, trying again with LibO and getting the same behaviour, I'm more than puzzled, and beginning to really worry.

Any ideas? Any possibility is another thing?

Thanks in advance,

pablo
  • looks like you're not alone: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/27820/newlines-being-inserted-after-footnotes/#Item_0
    we're looking into it.
  • oh mil merci !!! I was quite feeling in the middle of nowhere ! I'll wait for your further comments.

Only to let you know : I still tried with all the styles I could, and the problem persisted. Both in OO and LibreO. I haven't tried in Word.

Merci encore,

paf
  • I can't currently replicate that on my set-up (Zotero 3.0.13, Ubuntu 12.10 with LibreOffice 3.6.22)
    Next thing would be to look at this in Windows, which I'll do tomorrow.

Is this also the case if you insert Zotero footnotes into a new document?
  • Yes. I've tried as well in new documents, both in OO and in LibO.
  • Now that you mention Windows, the night before this begin, some automatic mises à jour (actualisations?) were installed.
  • I can send you my document which exhibits the issue with every new footnote if that would help. I also began to experience this issue after the newer version of Zotero (3.0.13) was installed.
  • Can you give the LibreOffice Trunk XPI a try and make sure this is fixed there? You'll need to manually install version 3.5.5 of the LibreOffice plugin when it is released later this week.
  • edited February 19, 2013
    Some problem with OpenOffice 3.4.1, as I already mentioned (http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/27906/zotero-places-undesirable-enters-after-footnote-insertion/).

As far as I can see it has to do with the extension. Something changed there last week?

Maybe it can be interesting to know how this 'Enters' are formed by the Zotero plug-in: (1) Zotero inserts {Citation}; (2) then it places an Enter before and after this; (3) then it removes the Enter before the citationfield; (4) then it places again an Enter before and after the citationfield; (5) then it removes the Enter before the field. So on the end two undesired Enters after the citationfield remain.

Already done: Updated Java; reset OpenOffice; reinstalled extension.
  • Hi Simon,
    Thanks for posting. LibreOffice Trunk XPI works!
    Till now everything goes well.
  • edited February 19, 2013
    Edit: nevermind, you got it.
    [Did you try with the LibreOffice Trunk XPI as Simon asked above? (it works with OpenOffice)]
  • You guys are brilliant !

Firs essays are working !

Thanks a lot !
  • Zotero LibreOffice Integration 3.5.5 is now available. If you were previously using the trunk XPI, you should download it from here.
  • I don't use Firefox, but the Chrome connector and Zotero standalone. I have just updated to 3.0.14 and the problem seems to have been corrected there too.
    Many thanks
  • I've just updated to Zotero LO Integration 3.5.5 and is working fine. Thanks !