Word thinks I have the firefox version?

Hello all,

I just started using Zotero, but can't seem to make it work.
I downloaded the standalaone version, and the chrome plugin. But, when I try to use it in word, it just says "Frefox could not load the component needed to communicate with word". What am I doing wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated! =)
  • http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/27672/zotero-could-not-load-the-component-error-after-updating-zotero-standalone/#Item_13

update Zotero one more time. Don't worry about the "Firefox" in the message.
  • Thank you! =)

One stupid question, how do I update? i downloaded it today, should'nt that be the latest version?
  • under Help --> Check for Updates.
    The update was released a couple of hours ago to deal with this issue specifically.
  • Wow! It worked! Thank you so much! =)
  • @devs - slightly off-topic
    Don't worry about the "Firefox" in the message.
    I noticed that this afternoon on Transifex (and fix it in the fr version). The non-English locales (at least fr-FR) have not been updated when some of the strings (not only this one) containing "Firefox" were updated to include Standalone.
  • @Gracile:
    https://github.com/zotero/zotero/commit/ce12c999ca4914c1b10b923d79006bd6e37f9885
    (though looks like Simon fixed this only for this specific message).
  • That commit of Simon's won't help past the next merge—we need to fix this in Transifex. Not sure why this happened, since I thought it was supposed to clear existing strings if the source string changes. Maybe something to do with some translators having the strings checked out and then pushing them back and rewriting the changed ones?

Anyway, rather than fixing these all manually, I can just add the few strings where this is an issue to my merge script so that the correct strings end up in the XPI regardless of what's on Transifex, and hopefully they'll be localized properly eventually.
  • Thanks.
    I can't remember which strings I changed. On Transifex, it was easy to search for "Firefox" in the fr-fr strings and then check if the original English string has been modified. If the fr locale is imported for 3.0.13, the diff could help.
  • Maybe we'll just send out an announcement asking people to do that, which would be easier (and help in cases where the strings are translated to the old version).
  • edited February 7, 2013
    This commit probably.

In zotero.properties:

general.restartFirefox
    general.restartFirefoxAndTryAgain
    upgrade.couldNotMigrate
    dataDir.useProfileDir
    db.dbCorrupted.restart
    integration.error.incompatibleVersion
    integration.error.notInstalled
    sync.error.loginManagerCorrupted1
    sync.error.loginManagerCorrupted2
    sync.error.syncInProgress.wait

In preferences.dtd:
    zotero.preferences.locate.addDescription
    zotero.preferences.dataDir.useProfile

(That's all for fr-FR)

(edited)
  • edited February 7, 2013
    Actually there are more changes than I thought.
    e.g:
    https://github.com/zotero/zotero/commit/394ad64091122276fdd88f8fd154048ac9b8b0ac [which is not related to the replacement of "Firefox" has not been merged into fr-FR and de-DE. I didn't check other locales]
  • Follow-up: a lot of strings which were modified in en-US weren't updated/merged in fr-FR afterwards resulting in a shift between fr-fr and en-US... That concerns only the modified strings, not the completely new strings.
    Hope that won't happen in the future: I would be interested to know the reason of this 'bug' - maybe because translated strings are never overwritten!?

(one of the oldest commit which wasn't merged into fr-fr (at least) is that one, August, 10th 2011!!)

(in addition to the list above):
    zotero.dtd:
    zotero.integration.prefs.bookmarks.caption
    zotero.bibliography.title

searchbox.dtd:
    zotero.search.recursive.label

zotero.properties:
    dataDir.standaloneMigration.title
    integration.error.invalidStyle
    integration.citationChanged.description
    firstRunGuidance.saveIcon
    zotero.preferences.export.quickCopy.instructions
    db.integrityCheck.failed
    sync.openSyncPreferences
    integration.missingItem.single
    integration.missingItem.multiple
    ingester.importFile.text
    integration.fields.fileFormatNotice
  • edited February 26, 2013
    Follow-up: a lot of strings which were modified in en-US weren't updated/merged in fr-FR afterwards resulting in a shift between fr-fr and en-US...
    I'm not really sure what you mean by this. All those strings you list appear to be translated properly in fr-FR...
  • 1. A string is localized and then translated, e.g this one (dataDir.standaloneMigration.title)

2. Later, the English version is modified (improvement, clarification, other changes).

3. Nothing happens on Transifex (or wherever): the French string is not overwritten with the updated English string and/or there's no notification that "dataDir.standaloneMigration.title" has been modified (whereas the completely new localized strings are pushed and appear clearly as "untranslated"). In this example, I manually change it today but I had to check carefully every strings (actually that's not what I've done... I've used the zotero.properties commit history).

Is it clear? Sorry for the hassle...
  • edited February 26, 2013
    OK, got it, thanks. It's certainly supposed to update modified strings:
    Modified strings will be considered new ones and added as well.
    (From http://help.transifex.com/features/client/#push)

Maybe I used the -l flag with 'en' and this (incorrectly?) prevented the automatic updates? Technically I didn't need to use that flag if I was just pushing source files (-s), but I may have added it because I was concerned with overwriting existing translations with English strings. Given that new strings did show up, I'm not sure if that really was the issue, but I'll try it without that next time and check some of the modified strings to make sure it works.

Sorry for the annoyance, and thanks for fixing these manually.
  • Thanks for the explanation. I'll check carefully the next time that modified source strings are pushed. This one (scroll down: styles.installError) will be a good candidate (only in the master branch at the moment) ;-)