Style request: Pisa University Press

Hey,

I would be really grateful if someone would have the time to develop a new style that I could not find in the repository. It is for a book publication by Pisa University Press.
The closest matching existing CSL-style is 'Australian Legal Citation' which gets a 82% match. These are the differences between this style and the one I would like to have:
- Instead of using the first name of the author, only author's first name initals should be used.
- Subsequent references to the same article should be
Ibidem, 290 (where the article is cited in the immediately preceding footnote),
otherwise n 10 above, 290.
- Books and contributions to edited books: In the brackets with the publication year, publisher and place should be added in the following way: (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1961)
- Contributions to edited books: A comma should be added after (ed)
- Articles: A comma should be added after the publication year.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best,
Caroline
  • is there a style guide online?
  • Unfortunately not. The only information I have is what I wrote in my earlier post in comparison with the existing style. So, this is what the editor sent me:
    Please follow as far as possible the various state law reports with their own rules.

• Footnotes
    All reference should be put in footnotes. A separate bibliography should not be included. References should be numbered sequentially throughout the text and should appear at the bottom of the page. Authors are asked to keep footnotes as short as possible and to make cross-references within the text as sparingly as possible. The name of the author(s) and an abbreviated form of the title should be used for cross-references.
    Footnote numbers in text should follow punctuation marks – comma, full point etc. The first letter of footnote will be capital.
    • Books
    These should be cited as in the following examples with the titles italicised:
    H.L.A. Hart, The Concept of Law (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1961)
    O. Ogus and E. Barendt, The Law of Social Security (London: Butterworths, 3rd ed., 1988)
    A. Flanders and H.A. Clegg (eds), The System of Industrial Relations in Great Britain (Oxford: Blackwell, 1954)

Contributions to edited books should be cited as follows:
    D. Harris, ‘Ownership of Land in English Law’, in N. MacCormick and P. Birks (eds),
    The Legal Mind: Essays in Honour of Tony Honore (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1986)
    • Articles
    References should always give the article title. Article titles, like the titles of contributions to edited books, should be in single quotation marks and not italicised. The titles of books and journals should be italicised and spelled out in full (nb: do not use common abbreviations).
    Thus:
    R. Abel, ‘Between Market and State: The Legal Profession in Turmoil’, (1989) 52 Modern Law Review 285.
    O. Kahn-Freund, ‘The Tangle of the Truck Acts’, (1949) 4 Industrial Law Review 2.
    M. Jones, ‘Subsidiarity and Social Regulation in Europe’, (1995) 1 Journal of Social Regulation Studies 63.

Subsequent references to the same article should be
    Ibidem, 290 (where the article is cited in the immediately preceding footnote),
    otherwise n 10 above, 290.

When citing books, articles and other publications, authors' first-name initials and surnames should be used, rather than first names and surnames.

Does this help?
  • yes, that helps. I'll try to get to it, but it likely won't be any time soon (let's face it - this isn't going to be widely used...), so if you're under a deadline you should probably look for a way to get this done yourself, be it with the visual editor and/or with someone's help.
  • Alright, thanks. If I find another solution, I will post it here.
  • Hi,
    I managed now myself to incorporate some changes into the closest matching style to make it at least more similar to Pisa University Press style - as you were right that I am under a deadline. It is certainly not a perfect style, there are still some mistakes and I guess it is quite some beginner's work in programming. That is why I am hesistant to upload the style to the repository. Should I do it nevertheless and indicate what is still wrong with it? Or does it not help at all to have it?
  • cool, sure, put it up - I suggest you use method C here:
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
    that's easy for you and we can take a look if it makes sense to upload it as is.
  • Okay, I did so. Here is the URL: https://gist.github.com/4681344
  • the style is now up with several additional fixes.
    It will appear on the style repository within 30mins.. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)

Let us know if you want contributor credit in the style file, I'd be happy to add you, would need a name, though, via pm if you prefer http://www.zotero.org/adamsmith
  • Thank you. No need to get credits for my humble trials...