Putting Author's Initials After the Last Name

Hello. I'm working with someone who is doing a project using the ASA (American Sociological Society) citation method except that he wants in-text citations to have the author's initial(s) AFTER the last name when disambiguating authors with the same last name and year of publication. Is there any way to modify the existing ASA CSL to do this or is this simply not possible?

This is a serious issue for him because most of his authors are Korean, so it is basically lots of (Kim, 2005) with over 25 people with the last name Kim. The way it normally tries to disambiguate is to put initials in front of the name (C. Kim 2005), but due to the Korean family name order (last name first name), he insists on having the first name initials after the last name.

Any thoughts? Or is there an alternate style besides ASA that can do this?

Thanks,
d
  • edited January 29, 2013
    find this:
    <macro name="author-short">
    <names variable="author">
    <name form="short" and="text" delimiter=", " initialize-with=". "/>
    <substitute>

change to this:
    <name form="short" and="text" delimiter=", " initialize-with=". " name-as-sort-order="always" sort-separator=", "/>
    <substitute>

see here for general instructions on modifying styles:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
  • Thank you Adam for your fast response. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working out. I'll give a concrete example of what it seems to be doing:

Kim, Byung-Kook. 2011. The Park Chung Hee Era.
    Kim, Yong-Jick. 2011. The Security, Fun Times, and Whatever.

So the in-text citation is coming up like this even after your modifications:
    (B.-K. Kim 2011; Y.-J. Kim 2011)

Ideally, my researcher wants it to look like this:
    (Kim B 2011; Kim Y 2011)

I'll double-check my copy and paste to avoid possible user error.

p.s. You don't happen to be in archaeology?
  • apologies, that should have been:

<name form="short" and="text" delimiter=", " initialize-with=". " name-as-sort-order="all" sort-separator=" "/>
    <substitute>
  • It's not possible to only use the first initial, though you can choose to display initials as B. K. or BK etc. by chaning both
    1. The initialize-with attribute and
    2. setting initialize-with-hyphen to "false" in the line starting with <style> http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#hyphenation-of-initialized-names
  • Thank you so much. That did the trick.

One more question: Is there any way to have it insert initials only if the last name AND the publication date is the same? For example, if there are two Kims but different dates, it would just be (Kim 2003) and (Kim 2011). But if there are different (Kim 2011)s then it would do the (Kim B.K. 2011) and (Kim Y.J. 2011)?
  • change the beginning of the citation section to:
    <citation et-al-min="4" et-al-use-first="1" et-al-subsequent-min="3" et-al-subsequent-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" disambiguate-add-names="true" disambiguate-add-givenname="true" collapse="year" givenname-disambiguation-rule="by-cite">
  • Thanks! Everything seems to be working. You are a genius!