Capital letters on words with Chicago Manual of Style 16th

Hi,
When importing citations for books (and not articles), the first letters of each word should appear in capital letters.
I get "The sixties spiritual awakening: American religion moving from modern to postmodern" when it should be "The Sixties Spiritual Awakening: American Religion Moving from Modern to Postmodern"

Also, when citing a journal article I get the DOI (whatever that is): Riggs, Margaret M., and Walter Kaess. “Personality Differences Between Volunteers and Nonvolunteers.” The Journal of Psychology 40, no. 2 (1955): 229–245. doi:10.1080/00223980.1955.9712981.

Hope this makes sense!
Cheers,
Chris
  • Thanks.
    1.I got the right click trick to convert sentence case to title case. Is there a way of automating it? The article doesn't say so.

2.I couldn't find anything about removing the DOI.
  • What's your style?

1. Don't use this trick. We recommend that you store titles in your Zotero library in sentence case. The style should make the conversion if desired.

2. User guide here: https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor/wiki/User-guide-for-the-CSL-Editor
  • Zotero's Chicago style should do this right, though - make sure you have the most recent copy of the style by downloading it from the repository at zotero.org/styles
  • edited December 21, 2012
    Chicago Manual of Style 16th ed., full note, no ibid

1. That's what I have been doing so far, but the style does not convert it. The problem is for books only. Articles are ok.

2. I tried removing the DOI, but cannot find the option.

Sorry, not very good with all these!
    The Chicago Manual of Style (and I guess most styles) do not need to include it, so you might want to modify the code so that it doesn't include it at all. Same with the sentence case.

I do have the latest style, because I recently posted another issue that lead to a modification of the code.
  • Contrary to what you say, CMoS 16th edition strongly suggests including DOIs in citations. (see the general remark in 14.6 and the examples from 14.176 onward).
    They are also required for an increasing number of citation styles (most notably APA).

As for the title case - this is a regular book item? And that's the case for all books? Do you have anything in the language field for those books?

Generally, though - what Gracile says - don't change titles to title case. Many styles, including NLM and APA - probably the two most common standards apart from CMoS - require titles in sentence case.
  • Ok, thanks for letting me about the DOI.
    As for the language field, do you mean the settings of the software? I installed it in French, which could explain it. If that's the case, how would I change it to English? CMoS does require title case, though.
  • As for the language field, do you mean the settings of the software?
    No. This: http://i.imgur.com/W0wyV.png
  • Nope. Nothing in the language field. Should I do anything with i?
  • edited December 22, 2012
    adamsmith had this in mind. You can try to add "en" but I doubt that would change anything.

EDIT:
    As for the title case - this is a regular book item? And that's the case for all books?
  • No, that doesn't seem to work either. Could I try changing the language setting of the software?
  • Changing the language of Zotero shouldn't make a difference:
    but it's worth a try:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/supported_languages#switching_languages
    (The bibliography language should make a difference, I believe, but it looks like you've set that to English anyway).

Could you say something about item types? Can you check whether Zotero does automatically title case some item types - e.g. journal articles - but not others - like books - in Chicago style or whether it just prints whatever you have in the title field.
  • Just changed the language, but no difference.

Journal Articles are automatically title cased, but not books in CMoS. It seems, however, that this occurs only when importing with the item finder and when I type in the ISBN. If I import it, say, from Amazon, it automatically uses title cases.
  • just to be clear:
    What's supposed to happen (and does for me) is that Zotero takes the title that's stored in sentence case and converts it to title case in the citation.
    So in Zotero it should say:
    Title: The sixties spiritual awakening: American religion moving from modern to postmodern

And the CMOS bibliography should be
    Ellwood, Robert S. The Sixties Spiritual Awakening: American Religion Moving from Modern to Postmodern. New Brunswick, N.J: Rutgers University Press, 1994.

If you import from Amazon, the title is in title case in Zotero in the first place.

Question is, if you have a journal article stored in sentence case - does the citation come out right?

I.e. if you have stored the title as
    Title: Personality differences between volunteers and nonvolunteers

Do you still get the correct CMOS output, i.e.
    Riggs, Margaret M., and Walter Kaess. “Personality Differences Between Volunteers and Nonvolunteers.” The Journal of Psychology 40, no. 2 (1955): 229–245. doi:10.1080/00223980.1955.9712981.

Also - which version of Zotero are you using? How are you creating the citations?
  • I am also having this issue with Chicago style (note). I'm using Zotero 3.0.11 in Firefox (English Windows 7/Firefox 18.0.1), and I've just retrieved the latest CSL 1/29/3013. The item title is stored in Sentence case. The casing of the title in the citation appears differently depending on what is in the Language field the item.

[Blank]
    Sheridan, Tai. Buddha in Blue Jeans: An Extremely Short Simple Zen Guide to Sitting Quietly. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2011.

English
    Sheridan, Tai. Buddha in blue jeans: an extremely short simple zen guide to sitting quietly. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2011.

en
    Sheridan, Tai. Buddha in Blue Jeans: An Extremely Short Simple Zen Guide to Sitting Quietly. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2011.

Google Books provided 'en', Worldcat.org provided 'English', and Amazon provided nothing in the Language field via the web translators/icons. I didn't find this book in the Library of Congress search, but another English book provided 'eng' (which gave me the same citation as 'English')

Worldcat is pretty large in terms of a union catalog and I liked that it provides the language, but not if it's always going to make Chicago style behave strangely. Is there anyway to make 'English' behave the same as 'en'?
  • Is there anyway to make 'English' behave the same as 'en'?
    The fact that it doesn't (and I can confirm it doesn't) is a bug - Zotero should title case whenever the language field starts with en - regardless of whether that's en en-US, eng, or English.
    I'll see if we can get fbennett to fix that to make it into the next Zotero version, but that might get close, unfortunately.
  • This appears to be fixed as of Zotero 4.0.2. Thank you!