Style Error: Turabian - Series Editors Missing

Problem: The series editors are not appearing in my citations or bibliography.

I've just made sure I have the latest version of the Turabian (full text) citation style.

According to Turabian's manual (7th ed), section 17.1.5, listing series information and series editors is optional, but in my case, it is absolutely necessary. The series editors should show up in the citations and bibliography automatically, especially since there's an option to put in a "series editor" in Zotero.

Is there a way I can fix this myself, or can Zotero please update the format?
  • I'm not convinced that Zotero should default to printing series editors.
    In most cases this is not required of people using Turabian style and the series editors are automatically imported from many library catalogs, so they'd just show up in citations, even for people who don't want them.
    The easiest solution for you would be to fix your style. This shouldn't be too hard using the visual editor
    http://steveridout.com/csl/visualEditor/
    series editors are called "collection-editor" for CSL/Zotero purposes

(btw. - why are you using Turabian in the first place? It's just a dumbed down version of the Chicago Manual... we're including it because it's often required for undergrads, but if you have any choice it should really be ditched for the real thing)
  • @adamsmith
    Re: "the series editors are automatically imported from many library catalogs, so they'd just show up in citations, even for people who don't want them."

I made sure the series editors are in Zotero, and Zotero does not automatically cite the series editors in the notes or bibliography. So that's the problem. Why have those fields there if you can't really use them? (If you didn't want the series editors, then don't populate them in the fields.)

Re: Why Turabian?

Even though I don't make the rules at my institution, Turabian works well for my purposes anyway...even if it's "dumbed down." :)
  • (If you didn't want the series editors, then don't populate them in the fields.)
    It's always better to have complete metadata in Zotero. You don't necessarily know which styles you're going to use in the future.
    So that's the problem. Why have those fields there if you can't really use them?
    As adamsmith said, you can modify your style to get the series editors: just add a macro with "collection-editor".
  • Modifying the style seems really complicated to me...very technical. I'm not sure I can just simply do it without some detailed instructions.
  • Mark: Have you looked at the visual editor adamsmith linked to above?
  • I have looked at the visual editor several times, but I can't figure out how to use it.
  • So if I don't know CSL, then what am I supposed to do?
  • there's a user's guide for the visual editor here:
    https://github.com/citation-style-editor/csl-editor/wiki/User-guide-for-the-CSL-Editor
    maybe that helps.
    I'm happy to help with specific questions.