Saving a changed style

I am having problems saving a newly created style.
After changing a style and validating it as described in the step-by-step-guide I try to save as .csl and install the style. I have also changed the style title and ID according to the guide (for example the name “new”.)
When trying to install (zotero standalone or firefox) a new window appears, saying:
‘Install “ “ from new.csl?’ (translated from German version).
If I go on clicking ‘Install’ nothing happens and the new style cannot be found in zotero’s style manager list.
Is there any mistake I have not found yet? A friend of mine has the same problem. I really need my personal style for my dissertation because no other style fits in the requested standard.
Thanking you in advance
  • post your modified style as a public gist to gist.github.com so we can take a look. That sounds like a problem with the style you created.
  • Thank you very much for your quick answer.
    I’ll send the style as soon as I have created it (unfortunately I already deleted the old version.)
    What I forgot to write in my first comment: The problem also appears, if I only change the title and ID in a downloaded style. So there can’t be another error in the script.
    Many thanks for your help again.
  • then you're probably saving the file in an unsupported format -
    how _exactly_ are you saving the style? Which editor are you using?
  • edited November 19, 2012
    I’m using the CSL-Editor of Zotero.
    For saving the style I choose 'Save...' and enter the new style’s name with a '.csl' at the end.
  • edited November 19, 2012
    Don't use the "Save" option: it does not save the code of your style but the whole Zotero Reference Test pane (csledit.xul)!

You've to copy and paste your code into a text editor [like Notepad or notepad++ on Windows, TextEdit on Mac OS X (select “Make Plain Text” under “Format”), or gedit in Linux] and save it with the .csl extension.