Creating a separate Works Cited page

I am using the MHRA citation style and want to know how to get Zotero to insert citations/notes on a separate page, rather than as a footnote at the bottom of each page? In other words, just like the bibliography at the end of a book is completely separate, I want my notes/citations to have their own page that is separate from the text. Do I have to ditch Zotero and use the Endnote software? (I hope not, as it took me long enough to figure out the basics of Zotero, which I love!)
  • You can switch the citation style from footnotes to endnotes, which sounds like it is what you want in the "Set Document Preferences" dialog of the Zotero Word/LibreOffice plugin
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#document_preferences
  • Thanks, but I tried that early on and the problem is that I am trying to convert an existing document that is already in the MHRA style to an MLA style. Short of taking out all of the MHRA citations and reinserting each one as MLA, your helpful advice of switching styles in the "set document preferences" tab will not work.
  • edited November 5, 2012
    In that case the solution is even simpler. Switch to the MLA style, then use the "Insert bibliography" selection via the word processor plugin to insert a bibliography at the end of the document.
  • I'm afraid I must have been unclear in my explanation, so I will try to word it a bit differently. I am not trying to create a bibliography, as that part is very easy. I am trying to change the existing MHRA style in-text citations (you know, like when you quote someone but you may want to elaborate more on what they say, so you create a footnote? Well, I want to elaborate on this as an Endnote, on a separate page). Can I change the MHRA style which automatically puts in-text supra notes as footnotes, or can I somehow highlight the entire document and change the in-text citations to MLA format and also as Endnotes?

Clear as mud, right?
  • No not clear at all. You can change the footnotes to endnotes as I explain in my first post. Or you can change the style to Mla as fbennett says. But Mla puts citations in the text as parentheses, sothe two things you say don't make sense together.
  • Thanks for the comments. I have changed the footnotes to endnotes, but I've had to go through the entire paper line by line to make those changes. That's the problem with writing a paper in one style and then needing to change it later on to a completely different citation style. I was just trying to figure out how to change the entire thing in one fell swoop. Sorry for the confusion.
  • It's good to hear that you've cleared the hurdle, but with adamsmith I'm a little puzzled about what the issue was. If there were footnotes in the document that were not created with Zotero, the word processor itself (not Zotero) should provide a means of converting them to endnotes in one go, no?
  • Yes, I eventually used the word processor itself, but it doesn't do it all in one go. Bottom line, with all of the helpful suggestions (and I admit, going the long way around), I got it done.
  • You can convert all footnotes to endnotes in both LibreOffice and Word with one single operation. E.g. for Word
    https://www.google.com/search?q=convert+footnote+to+endnote+word&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
    Most of these will work, including the first link.

You can _also_ do it individually, but you don't have to.
  • Thanks Adam! This is a very big help. And thanks also to fbennett. You're both obviously very clued in on this stuff.