I don't see a Zotero icon in the address bar - Safari Browser

Hi, I have a Mac OSX 10.6 and Safari Browser. I installed zotero but I can's see a Zotero icon in the address bar. All the documentation I found is related with Firefox Browser, but nothing with Safari. THANKS
  • the icon in Safari should be to the left of the address bar. It will always be visible, but be greyed out for pages where Zotero doesn't have a translator.
  • Thanks. The icon is not there. Do you know why?. I have tried with google scholar, jstor, and many scholar pages... but it doesn't appear
  • did you download & install the Safari connector?
    http://www.zotero.org/support/3.0#zotero_standalone
  • Thanks!!! Now the plug is there but "offline". How I change this status? Sorry, this stuff is new for me
  • do you have Zotero standalone open?
    If so, if you go to this page:
    http://www.amazon.com/Wealth-Nations-Adam-Smith/dp/161382081X/
    does the icon turn online?
  • I have Zotero open and the icon is offline even in this page
  • if you right-click (ctrl+click) on the page and select "Zotero Preferences" what do you see?
  • Keep item visible
    Remove item
    Customize toolbar
  • no, not on the Zotero icon - anywhere on any webpage. You should see "Zotero Preferenes" as one of the options in the context menu.
  • Sorry... I was wrong.
    Zotero Standalone is currently
    Zotero Connector must be authorized in order to save items to zotero.org when Zotero Standalone is not open.
  • Zotero Connector has not experienced any errors since it was first started.
  • With regard "Zotero Connector must be authorized in order to save items to zotero.org when Zotero Standalone is not open" I clicked on "Authorize" but the bottom is still greyed out
  • "Zotero Standalone is currently"
    it doesn't say online or offline?
  • You are right. It doesn't say online or offline. It is only grey bottom, even in the page you recommended me. I can't save anything. Thanks for your patience.
  • I'd need Dan or Simon to say more - it sounds like you have everything in place.
    Are you using any other Safari extensions? If so, try temporarily disabling them, restart Safari and try again.
  • I am not sure what "safari extensions" means. Could you explain me how I can to disable them?
  • Safari Extensions: http://extensions.apple.com/
    I don't have a Mac, so I can't help you with that, but shouldn't be so hard to find out if you have anything installed and if so disable it.
  • I found the problem. Zotero does not work with Safari. I installed Firefox and goes well.
  • I found the problem. Zotero does not work with Safari.
    No, no. Zotero Standalone works with Zotero Connector for Safari. You haven't really solved your problem even if you've found another solution.
  • I've been messing with the stand alone zotero for an hour trying to get it to sync with safari, but it won't work and I'm passed my time investment quota. It took me 20 minutes to figure out I had to download another thing to get connect with safari, and then another 10 to find out where to download the connector. Everything on the site points to firefox... except I don't have and don't want firefox, but as this program is recommended for a seminar I'm involved in, firefox it is. Otherwise, bad PR re: zotero stand alone.
  • I don't see how this could be any clearer than this page:
    http://www.zotero.org/download/
    Which tells you explicitly to download both Standalone and the connector for Safari. But if you have any suggestions?
  • I could only suggest a dummie proof walkthrough or video... I've just spent 45 minutes trying to figure out how to re-install the program on my computer but got snagged while trying to use it on Libreoffice; I've since had to uninstall libre as every time I would open it there would be a frozen "reopen last session" (something like that) dialogue box.

I'm trying to get it to work on the stand alone version now, and am currently stuck as to why the "Z" icon on my safari window is grey with a (\) slash over the Z. Once I figure out how to use it on safari, I hope openoffice welcomes it with open arms.

Pardon my inner Luddite.
  • OK. Everything seems back to normal. The problem I had when attempting to use Zotero in Libre was a quick fix once I found this:

http://blog.mrgeckosmedia.com/2011/08/fixing-restore-windows-bug-in-lion.html

I think the biggest issue was either A) manual installation of each corresponding connector is required B) It seemed automatic installation of the programs had taken place, and therefore created confusion.

The program, Libre, and Safari all seem to be working together now. I look forward to a steep learning curve over the next few months...
  • I am also having trouble finding the zotero icon on my address bar (or to the left of the bar as people seem to have mentioned)on Safari. I've downloaded both he standalone and the safari browser extension. Then uninstalled them then installed them again. I've restarted my computer. I can't make sense how others solved the problem in this forum.
    I would really appreciate any help.
  • When I am trying to download the connector for Safari, my computer says I do not have an app that can open it in order to download it. What application would I need to successfully download the connector?
  • Can someone help me please? I see the zotero icon on the the address bar of safari, but it is still offline. what should I do?
  • I read the complete thread, follow the instructions but so far I only see the icon active in the Adam Smith link you posted. Any new solution to activate the Zotero icon on my address bar?

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.