How to input primary source document found in edited collection?

How do other historians input primary sources that they find in published, edited volumes (e.g. an edition of letters or an edition of selected manuscript sources from an archive)? I have used "book section," because that gives me the opportunity to include the Book Title and editor. However, that "type" limits the ability to enter the date of the document (because the date for the "book section" type refers to the publication date of the actual volume). As a result, you lose the functionality of arranging your documents chronologically, and the timeline, and all of that. On the other hand, I have also tried entering these documents in the "manuscript" type or "document" type, but that forces me to lose the ability to cite editor and volume, and the publication data.

How do people handle this? Or am I missing something? Help would be appreciated!! Bob
  • They're definitely book sections if they're published as chapters of a book. Zotero will get an "original date" field soon-ish, which should solve your sorting issue.
  • I have a similar concern. I am working with a source book that contains sources originally published in newspapers and other periodicals. CMoS online (http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html) recommends this as the general example of such sources:

Chapter of an edited volume originally published elsewhere (as in primary sources)

1. Quintus Tullius Cicero, “Handbook on Canvassing for the Consulship,” in Rome: Late Republic and Principate, ed. Walter Emil Kaegi Jr. and Peter White, vol. 2 of University of Chicago Readings in Western Civilization, ed. John Boyer and Julius Kirshner (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1986), 35.
    2. Cicero, “Canvassing for the Consulship,” 35.

Cicero, Quintus Tullius. “Handbook on Canvassing for the Consulship.” In Rome: Late Republic and Principate, edited by Walter Emil Kaegi Jr. and Peter White. Vol. 2 of University of Chicago Readings in Western Civilization, edited by John Boyer and Julius Kirshner, 33–46. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1986. Originally published in Evelyn S. Shuckburgh, trans., The Letters of Cicero, vol. 1 (London: George Bell & Sons, 1908).

Note that these examples do not include indentations because I can't figure out how to do that. Anyway, what's important is this: the footnotes require a source author, source title, book title, book publication date, and book editors. A "Book Chapter" type entry in Zotero suffices for that. In the bibliography, however, it requires a line for where the source was "originally published," which has to include the title of the publication, its publication date, and any author/editor thereof.

So, this is what I need to be able to store information for: A book (with a title, publisher, publication date, and editor) which contains a newspaper article (with its own title, author, publication date, and the name of the periodical). The bibliography requires an "originally published" line containing the name of the periodical and its publication date. I can't find any type in Zotero that handles all this, but I need all the unique data for the article's source for the bibliography. Is there any way to handle this in Zotero?
  • Is there any update on the status of this feature request?
  • Original date will almost certainly be in the next major Zotero version.
    I have my doubts, though, about storing full duplicate sets of references (i.e. the originally published info), I don't think it's going to happen.
    It is not a requirement, but a "may" possibility in CMoS (http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/16/ch14/ch14_sec190.html ) so we'd likely not even implement it in the style, and
    I'd suggest just making a note of it and adding it manually if it's important.
  • edited February 3, 2014
    I would suggest a rather imperfect method. Moreover I didn't try it. But maybe it would help.

The Mapping table between Zotero variables and csl variables suggest that the Zotero field "extra" match the csl field "note" in the "Book" reftype.

One could let this field empty for secondary litterature and complete it, with anything, for the "primary sources".

Then, in the csl file, one could apply a "choose" condition :
    if variable=note -> then apply the primary source formatting.
    elseif -> apply the secondary sources formatting.
  • it's absolutely possible to hack a style to do that, yes. We won't implement this for anything official, but if someone needs help with details, I can can help (I cannot walk you through all the style edits, though).