I can't login

No problems logging in here, but I can't login to my account to sync with the server:

"The Zotero sync server did not accept your username and password."

I have reset the password several times, restarted Mozilla several times, rebooted the computer, tried an email address and tried my user name, have attempted to login at least a dozen times on different occasions - using exactly the same details as I have to login to the server. Caps lock is definitely not on!

I notice that the password box is always blank whenever I go back to the Zotero Sync Server settings screen - is this because it's not accepting my password, or a sign that there's another problem?

Edit - added: Error ID: 509889257
  • Further info and a hope that someone will respond to this:

Zotero is normally synced between 3 computers. Just found out the last sync on this computer was a third of a year ago...

The other computer I have access to right now has exactly the same login details entered, and syncs fine, so the problem seems to be confined to this machine.
  • [JavaScript Error: "NS_ERROR_ABORT: User canceled master password entry" {file: "resource:///components/crypto-SDR.js" line: 115}]
    [JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: Password not set"]
    You have a master password set in Firefox, and it looks like you're cancelling the password prompt.

Disable the Firefox master password.
  • Thanks Dan. Unfortunately the Firefox master password has never been ticked / set. Any other ideas?
  • You can try reinstalling Firefox. You may need to fix something in your Firefox profile (e.g., by deleting signons.* or key3.db or something like that—I don't know offhand where the master password stuff is stored). This is a Firefox problem, not a Zotero one, so they can probably help you better in a Mozilla forum. I'd be surprised if you weren't also having problems saving passwords for websites.
  • You may well be on to something there, Dan. I've had various bits of Firefox strangeness for a while... I'll give it a try soon and post back.
  • edited March 2, 2013
    Finally got round to reinstalling Firefox. That didn't fix the problem. I then found key3.db and deleted (renamed) it, as you suggested. This seems to have resolved things! Incidentally it was stored one more level under here: \Users\James\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

Many thanks!
  • Can someone explain in step-by-step non-technical language how this problem was fixed? I'm experiencing the same issue but not having any other problems with Firefox. I can't quite follow the exchange above.

Many thanks.
  • ahlyon: Can you provide a Report ID to start?