Add/Remove Fields

I think it would be great if we could add or remove fields to the info section of a given Zotero item.

So, if I want to add a "place of publication" field to the generic "Document" item, I can simply click on an "add field" button/menu item, select the field type, and then enter the relevant data.

Also, this "add field" menu could have a list of "recently used" and/or "frequently used" fields to make adding fields more efficient.
  • I don't think that's a good idea, no:
    Many citation styles rely on the fact that some fields don't exist for certain item types - it'd be a bad idea to mess with that.
    (Also, avoid the "Document" item type as much as you can - it doesn't work well with citation styles).
  • Well, "Document" has worked splendidly for my Honors thesis, and I think it would make sense to be able to make modifications to generic items such as "Dcument," "Report," and "Manuscript," for example.
  • It's not going to happen any time soon. Apart from the issue with citation styles - which is significant - allowing customization also complicates syncing and - even more so - groups. I don't know if it's ever going to happen, but certainly not in the next year or so.

If you need a field for an item type it doesn't exist for, provide a use case (style guide and citation) and if it's compelling there's a good chance we'll add it.
This discussion has been closed.