Style Request: Weed Science, Weed Technology

I would like to properly :) request a citation style be added to the style repository titled "Weed Science, Weed Technology"

This new style closely resembles the "Council of Science Editors (CSE) (author-date)" style with a few minor changes:

Journals:
--Journal names and proceeding titles are abbreviated according to the most recent issue of BIOSIS Serial Sources
--Volume numbers are not reported for journal articles

Online pubs:
--The DOI is used in place of page numbers

Websites:
--Website citations cite the author, date, title, website, and date accessed. Example: Heap, I. M. 2011. International Survey of Herbicide Resistant Weeds. http://www.weedscience.org/in.asp. Accessed: January 1, 2011.

Articles in books:
--Page or Pages is spelled out
--the word 'in' is not italicized
--Publisher/city order is "City, ST:Publisher"
Examples: Baver, L. D. and W. H. Gardner. 1972. Flow in stratified soil systems. Pages 343-345 in L. D. Baver, ed. Soil Physics. New York: Academic Press.
Frankland, B. 1981. Germination in shade. Pages 187–204 in H. L. Smith and G.H.M. Taylor, eds. Plants and the Daylight Spectrum. London: Academic Press.

Books:
--Publisher/city order is "City, ST:Publisher"
--Number of pages or pages referenced is given at end of citation.
Examples:
Ahrens, W. H., ed. 1994. Herbicide Handbook. 7th ed. Champaign, IL: Weed Science Society of America. Pp. 224-226.

Kyle, D. J., C. B. Osmond, and C. J. Arntzen, eds. 1987. Photoinhibition. 4th ed, Volume 2. New York: Elsevier. 315 p.

Wiese, A. F. and D. J. Kyle. 1985. Weed Control in Limited Tillage Systems. 2nd ed. Champaign, IL: Weed Science Society of America. Pp. 78–96.

Government report:
--number of pages referenced at end of citation

Dissertation:

Package labels and inserts:

Instructions can be found here:
http://www.wssajournals.org/userimages/ContentEditor/1335294514086/WSSA_Directions%20for%20Contributors.pdf

Example citations can be found here:
http://www.bioone.org/doi/full/10.1614/WS-D-11-00062.1

Thanks!
  • there is a long list atm so this won't be quick, but it's bookmarked and I've got all the info I need.
  • No rush. I'd like to get it as close to correct the first time around as possible. Although I will use this style for my work, it's not just a personal request. The Weed Science Society of America (who publishes Weed Sci/Tech) has around 2000 members who I believe will benefit greatly from Zotero and this new style. Thanks for your help!
  • a Weed Science Society of America style (with styles for the two journals) is now up on the repository - give it a try and let me know how it goes.
  • Fantastic! This style looks really good. We really appreciate your hard work on this. It needs a few minor tweaks, but I think it's well on its way. Those adjustments are below:

Books:
    -A period (not a comma) is required after the title of the book when the edition is listed: Statistical Inference. 2nd ed.
    -Format should be Location: Publisher. (I think now it is Publisher. Location.)
    -Needs # of pages at end of citation in the format: 315 p.
    Example:
    Rao, V.S. 2000. Principles of Weed Science. 2nd ed. Enfield, New
    Hampshire: Science Publishers. 632 p.

Book Section:
    -Editor(s) should be abbreviated ed. or eds.
    -Format should be Location: Publisher.

Journal articles:
    -Journal title should be abbreviated. There is a box for entering the journal abbreviation which, I think, could be used instead of the full journal title.

Proceedings:
    -The word 'in' should precede the proceedings name.
    Example:
    Keeling, J.W., P.A. Dotray, T.S. Osborne, and B.S. Asher. 1998. Postemergence weed management with Roundup Ultra, Buctril, and Staple in Texas High Plains Cotton. p. 861 in Proc. Beltwide Cotton Conf.

Reports:
    -Page numbers appear to be listed as the pages in the text rather than the total number of pages. The correct format is the total number of pages, listed at the end of the citation as: 10 p.
    -Needs additional information: Institution Publication No. ___. The "Publication No." is just the Report Number field entry.
    Examples:
    Anonymous. 2011a. Liberty Herbicide Label. Bayer CropScience Publication No. Y-3837593. Research Triangle Park, NC: Bayer CropScience LP. 21 p.

USDA-AMS. 2010. Cotton Varieties Planted--2010 Crop - Corrected. Memphis, Tennessee: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Marketing Service - Cotton Program. 10 p.

Thesis:

Web Page:
    -After the title, citation needs: Available at (URL). Accessed (date Month DD, YYYY).
    Example: Heap, I. M. 2011. International Survey of Herbicide Resistant Weeds. Available at http://www.weedscience.org/in.asp. Accessed: January 1, 2011.

Patent: (entry fields in "quotes")
    -"Author", inventor; "Assignee", assignee.
    -Issue date = YYYY Mon D.
    -No location information in citation
    -(Country) patent (patent number).
    Example:
    Harred, J. F., inventor; Dow Chemical Company, assignee. 1972 Apr 4. Epoxidation process. U.S. patent 3,654,317.
  • thanks - most of this is now fixed.

Exceptions:
    - page number in reports - the field is wrongly mapped in Zotero. This should fix itself eventually, likely with the next major version of Zotero due out in November.
    - patents - Zotero doesn't currently map enough variables for patents to do this properly, so I have left it out entirely - you can remind me to revisit after the next major Zotero upgrade (though this might be 2 upgrades away).
    - proceedings - I just treat them like chapters, that should work for most purposes, but e.g. give you "Page 861" rather than p. 861 in your example above.
  • Looks great. I look forward to the next version of Zotero. When it comes out, I'll see if some of these exceptions self-fix.

Thanks so much for your hard work on this.
  • I might make a comment here for those publishing in Weed Science, Weed Technology or Invasive Plant Science and Management:

Since WSSA citation style requires journal articles to be abbreviated, any journals saved into a Zotero library will need to be abbreviated by the user. Simply type the abbreviation into the "Publication" field when entering or after saving a reference.
  • @jacobreed, isn't that what the "Journal Abbr" field is for?
  • and Zotero will use the contents of that field for the WSSA style.
    It is strongly advised that users don't put journal abbreviations into the Publication field.
    This will lead to incorrect output on other citation styles and has a good chance of affecting how well future solutions to the journal abbreviation issue will work for you.
  • Rintze: good question,
    adamsmith: thanks for the clarification.

So, in the end, the journal abbreviation will need to be typed into the "Journal Abbr" field. I downloaded a number of citations from websites and that field does not often fill automatically.
  • Currently yes, though we try to import the abbreviation wherever possible, it really depends on where you're importing from.
    Medium term Zotero will be able to automatically replace journal titles with abbreviations - using different abbreviation lists - as required.
    Here's a plugin that already does that:
    http://citationstylist.org/abbreviations-for-zotero/
    if you search the forum there is some discussion on this as well as links to at least one list of journal abbreviations.
    That's the other reason not to change the publication field: This will only work if you have the journal name in a standardized form.