Compile error

hi there,

I followed this instruction:
http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/client_coding/building_the_standalone_client

in order to compile Zotero 3 on my Win XP SP 3 machine. the ./build command fails with this message:
Invalid command: UAC::IsAdmin

The problem seems to be that I don't have the NSIS plugin for UAC installed. Unfortunately there seems to be no existing UAC Plugin available for Unicode (only Ansi). Can someone hint what I can do to fix this or is this eventually impossible on XP (my random guess...)

apart from that I would suggest to improve the how-to for the compilation and mention that several plugins are needed for NSIS and that the config.sh file may need alteration also for the paths to the windows tools (such as MAKENSISU).

best regards, Jan
  • edited April 19, 2012
    Try the plugins from http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/052d53200cf8/other-licenses/nsis/Plugins

The documentation is a wiki, and we'd be happy for any contributions you can provide.
  • thanks for pointing me to both links. I'll add my bits of knowledge once I get zotero compiled, installed and running :)
  • Hi,

I am running into the same issue trying to compile the standalone.
    The libraries available at the links Simon pointed to do not seem to work (or at least I don't get them to work).

Any new clues?
    Jan, did you get to your compiler set up?

Thanks,
    Stefanie
  • Hi Stefanie,

you are on Windows and try to compile Zotero using Cygwin, right? I got it running in that scenario and then updated this documentation:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/client_coding/building_the_standalone_client

so it should work if you followed it closely. Otherwise I can only guess. I was able to compile and solve the issue I originally wanted to solve so I haven't dug deeper into the source code and am afraid that I can't help much more.

best regards!

jan
  • I was able to compile and solve the issue I originally wanted to solve so I haven't dug deeper into the source code and am afraid that I can't help much more.
    For what it's worth, most Zotero source code is still uncompiled JavaScript in Standalone, so if you just want to change something it's basically the same as it is for Zotero for Firefox (with appropriate path changes), without compiling anything. You just need to run the executable with the -purgecaches flag to get it to notice the new code.
  • Thanks guys for your immediate support.

Unfortunately I still can't get the source code compiled to a new executable. I followed the instructions Jan updated (even though I wasn't aware the information had already been updated) but I still run into the following error after starting build.sh:

Building from bundled submodule
    Building translators.zip
    Building styles.zip
    Building Zotero_win32
    Creating Windows installer
    Invalid command: UAC::IsAdmin <!--- Stefanie: Problem starts here -->
    Error in macro ElevateUAC on macroline 51
    Error in script "C:\Programme\Cygwin\tmp\zotero-build-e7cfb00d\win_installer\uninstaller.nsi" on line 92 -- aborting creation process
    mv: Aufruf von stat für „/tmp/zotero-build-e7cfb00d/win_installer/helper.exe“ nicht möglich: No such file or directory
    Invalid command: UAC::Unload
    Error in macro UnloadUAC on macroline 26
    Error in macro OnEndCommon on macroline 4
    Error in macro CopyFilesFromDir on macroline 4
    Error in script "C:\Programme\Cygwin\tmp\zotero-build-e7cfb00d\win_installer\installer.nsi" on line 107 -- aborting creation process
    mv: Aufruf von stat für „/tmp/zotero-build-e7cfb00d/win_installer/setup.exe“ nicht möglich: No such file or directory

The UAC.dll is located in the NSIS\Unicode\plugins folder. So I'd appreciate if anyone has any further suggestions...

I trying to use Zotero for a concept to supporting single learners I in developed within my phd thesis. Therefore, I’d like to do some changes...

Dan, thanks for clearing that up for me. If I can’t get the compilation to work properly I’ll just use the Firefox plugin.

Thanks everybody,
    Stefanie
  • Dan, thanks for clearing that up for me. If I can’t get the compilation to work properly I’ll just use the Firefox plugin.
    I'm not totally sure you understood what I was saying. Why do you need to compile Standalone? If you just need to make JavaScript changes, you don't need to do so.
  • Well I was planning to make some changes that could that way(being included in the standalone) be provided for all browsers. So it's basically just an issue of possible provision afterwards.
  • So you mean your goal would be to later supply a patch to us?

You still don't need to compile Standalone to do that, though it'd be a little easier, since you could point the build script at a Git checkout of the main Zotero repo (which I don't think is actually mentioned in those instructions but is an option in build.sh). But if you can't get the compilation to work, you could always generate a diff manually (just make a backup copy before changing anything) and apply that to a Git checkout.
  • Yes, if everything works as desired - and you're interested I would supply my changes/version to you.

Thanks again!
    I'll 'just' get the work then now!
  • edited May 11, 2012
    You can also run ./build.sh -d which won't build the installer, and doesn't require NSIS or its plugins. You can then run zotero.exe from the staging directory.
  • On Win7, 64-bits, I have the same problem. I'd like to solve some issues with Standalone (e.g.: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/46671/standalone-any-zotero-secondary-window-is-out-of-screen/?Focus=215847 )
    $ ./build.sh
    Building from bundled submodule
    Building translators.zip
    Building styles.zip
    Building Zotero_win32
    Creating Windows installer
    Invalid command: UAC::IsAdmin
    Error in macro ElevateUAC on macroline 51
    Error in script "C:\cygwin64\tmp\zotero-build-7988e601\win_installer\uninstaller.nsi" on line 57 -- aborting creation process
    mv: impossible d'évaluer « /tmp/zotero-build-7988e601/win_installer/helper.exe »: No such file or directory
    SignTool Error: No certificates were found that met all the given criteria. [[[[note: this line x24]]]]
    Invalid command: UAC::Unload
    Error in macro UnloadUAC on macroline 26
    Error in macro OnEndCommon on macroline 4
    Error in macro CopyFilesFromDir on macroline 4
    Error in script "C:\cygwin64\tmp\zotero-build-7988e601\win_installer\installer.nsi" on line 80 -- aborting creation process
    mv: impossible d'évaluer « /tmp/zotero-build-7988e601/win_installer/setup.exe »: No such file or directory
    SignTool Error: No certificates were found that met all the given criteria.
    SignTool Error: No certificates were found that met all the given criteria.

The NSIS plugins are installed…

I tried Simon's "./build.sh -d" solution, and clicking zotero.exe opens zotero 4.0.999.SOURCE.2ad0f5e which is ok, but that loads my own (not for dev) library and, strangely, all the extensions I have with it (zotfile, zutilo, biblatex…). I'm a little bit afraid and would make sure that this Standalone doesn't load my library and add-ons.
    you could point the build script at a Git checkout of the main Zotero repo (which I don't think is actually mentioned in those instructions but is an option in build.sh).
    Dan, could you elaborate please?