MAC - How do I get Zotero to work once I've downloaded the connector and dmg

Please help!
It speaks the whole time of looking on firefox at the bottom right corner for zotero??? I'm on safari. Any suggestions what to do?
  • What exactly are you trying to do? If you just want to open standalone, install it like any other .dmg file (I believe on Mac you drag them to the application folder?) and then start it like any other application.
  • edited March 3, 2012
    I've used both Firefox and Safari on the mac. You install the standalone client as Adam suggested, by dragging to your applications folder.

You can install a Safari plugin that will add a small icon to the top of Safari pages. When you are on a site Zotero recognizes as a reference, you can click the icon to add the reference to Zotero.

You can also add plugin's for MS Word that work great with Zotero. As you're typing your paper, you can select the "Add Citation" from the script menu in Word and search for an article or author. It will add the citation and update the bibliography. If you don't use Word, you can shift-drag a reference from the standalone program to create a citation or simply drag to create a reference.
  • I'm on a mac with safari, and zotero is just not working for me. The icon is grey and says 'zotero is online' but no matter what site I'm on (amazon, google scholar, nytimes) it won't let me click the z. I've also done the 'save zotero snapshot' and I don't know what that is supposed to do, but it does nothing. Lastly, I've been in the 'zotero preferences' screen both on the browser and on the standalone zotero, and it doesn't seem to do anything when I click the authorization icon.

I've been looking all over this forum and see a lot of folks having this same problem, but they all seem to be having more luck then me. Any advice?
  • jgamz, what version of Safari do you have? Do you see any errors in the Zotero preferences in the browser?
  • I don't see any errors no.

I have Safari version 5.0.6

and I have Mac OS X 10.5.8
  • I'll see if I can reproduce this with Safari 5.0.6, but I strongly recommend you update Mac OS X to 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later. Zotero Standalone will cease to support Mac OS X 10.5 around the end of this year.
  • I got the same problem here.

I have installed the Safari connector and also standalone on Mac.
    Even the icon in Safari says 'Zetero is online' , it just done nothing at all.
    I cant click it indeed.

I right click the web page and choose save snapshot. Sometimes it does work, but most likely it take a long long time to save.
  • I upgraded to 10.6 and now it works pretty well.
  • Same problem with Mavericks.
  • by same problem you mean the unclickable Safari icon or something else?
    Note that you currently need Standalone open and running for the Safari translator to work.