Proxy redirection doesn't work in Firefox when Standalone is open

I've used the firefox extension for awhile and just recently installed the standalone 3.0 beta. When standalone is running, firefox no longer auto-redirects to my stored proxy. (Also, Tools>Zotero in the firefox menu puts focus on the standalone application rather than bringing up the plugin pane in the browser window.) Quitting standalone restores normal browser behavior - proxies and plugin pane.

Is that the intended behavior? Sure, there are other firefox proxy extensions, but it's pretty counterintuitive to quit my reference manager application so that I can have access to the references.

This is on a Mac still on Snow Leopard, Firefox 10.0.
  • That's intended, yes. If you're using Standalone and Zotero for Firefox at the same time (and pointing to the same database), Zotero for Firefox behaves like the browser connectors for Chrome or Safari.
    Anything else would have two programs accessing the same database at the same time with potentially disastrous consequences.
  • Wow, thanks for the quick response!

Which panel pops up when you click Zotero isn't really the issue, though it's apparently the same underlying cause. Installing and running standalone breaks a feature of the extension, without warning as far as I can tell.
  • edited February 19, 2012
    We have plans to enable proxy redirection when Standalone is open in Zotero 3.5 (and also to enable proxy redirection in Chrome, now that the APIs are available).
  • I've just uninstalled zotero standalone, but proxies still don't work. Where can i reenable them?
  • Not sure why you've uninstalled Standalone but does that help: http://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/proxies ?