Change default browser for opening links?

On my Linux system, with Zotero standalone ver. 3.0, when I click a url or link or use the Locate... function, they open in FF. Is there a way to choose the browser that these sorts of things open in?
  • file handling on linux is messy (I think there might be a mozilla bug somewhere involved) - in general standalone should open files with the system standard.
  • Sorry, I just discovered my mistake. You're right, it does use the system default.
  • Even better, if I have more than one window of the browser open, it uses the last-used window to open links (rather than something like the parent browser or first one opened). Sweet.
  • Hello! I am having a problem getting Zotero Standalone to open snapshots/links in the right browser. Even though Chrome is set as the default browser, the links continue to open in Firefox (after the error message "There was a problem sending the command to the program").
  • Never mind my previous post. I fixed the problem; FF was associated with .html and that type of files, so I simply set Chrome as the associated program.
  • Hi guys, I' ve got the same problem, but differently from you I'm not able to associate Chrome as associate program for .html. Could you please tell me how to do that? Thanks in advance
  • alessio,

I suspect that, like me, you are *not* using GNOME as your window manager. GNOME has it's own GNOME-specific list of default applications. So in my case (using KDE) clicking on URL's opens Chrome, which is just what I want. But here's the kicker - Zotero looks up GNOME's default applications list to decide what application to use to open URL's. So I opened up a terminal and ran gnome-control-center and changed the default URL application to Chrome, restarted Zotero and it solved the problem for me.
  • Hi lpgmt-jwclark,

I have KDE too and I'm running into the same problem. Is there a way to modify the default browser (used by GNOME, which I don't have) without installing gnome-control-center ?
    Thanks!
  • Hi zampoc. Sorry I'm not aware of a way to change the default browser setting for GNOME from the command line (or other method other than via gnome-control-center). However, I'm almost certain there *will* be a way. Hopefully a bit of Googling should help you work it out.
  • Thanks, I simply edited the file /usr/share/applications/defaults.list
    by changing every occurrence of google-chrome.desktop to firefox.desktop .

Now it works!