Style request : Bioresource Technology

Dear all,

I work from few years with Zotero. I would like in the immediate future to publish in the journal Bioresource Technology but the style of this publication is not available in Zotero styles.
I don’t have some skills in XML or JavaScript language to create my own citation style.
Could you create this style according to author information ? (http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405854/authorinstructions)

Actual instructions are :

1. Single author: the author's name (without initials, unless there is ambiguity) and the year of publication;
2. Two authors: both authors' names and the year of publication;
3. Three or more authors: first author's name followed by 'et al.' and the year of publication.

Citations may be made directly (or parenthetically). Groups of references should be listed first alphabetically, then chronologically.
Examples: 'as demonstrated (Allan, 2000a, 2000b, 1999; Allan and Jones, 1999). Kramer et al.
(2010) have recently shown ....'

List: References should be arranged first alphabetically, THEN NUMBERED NUMERICALLY, and then further sorted chronologically if necessary. More than one reference from the same author(s) in the same year must be identified by the letters 'a', 'b', 'c', etc., placed after the year of publication.

Examples:
Reference to a journal publication:
Van der Geer, J., Hanraads, J.A.J., Lupton, R.A., 2010. The art of writing a scientific article. J. Sci. Commun. 163, 51–59.
AUTHOR INFORMATION PACK 30 Jan 2012 www.elsevier.com/locate/biortech 11

Reference to a book:
Strunk Jr., W., White, E.B., 2000. The Elements of Style, fourth ed. Longman, New York.

Reference to a chapter in an edited book:
Mettam, G.R., Adams, L.B., 2009. How to prepare an electronic version of your article, in: Jones, B.S., Smith , R.Z. (Eds.), Introduction to the Electronic Age. E-Publishing Inc., New York, pp. 281–304.

Journal abbreviations source
Journal names should be abbreviated according to
Index Medicus journal abbreviations: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/tsd/serials/lji.html;
List of title word abbreviations: http://www.issn.org/2-22661-LTWA-online.php;
CAS (Chemical Abstracts Service): http://www.cas.org/sent.html.

In a second step, do you know if it’s possible with Zotero to cite authors as : XXX et al (2012) shown ….

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Sincerely,

Benoît
  • The style is Elsevier's Harvard Style from the repository at zotero.org/styles
    The only weird thing is the "Numbered Numerically" - that's neither in the examples nor in the actual journal, so I have no idea what they mean here.
  • In a second step, do you know if it’s possible with Zotero to cite authors as : XXX et al (2012) shown ….
    Check the suppress author box and write out XXX et al in your word processor.
  • Thank you so much for your answer. I'm going to try as soon as possible.
    Regards,
    Benoît
  • >> The only weird thing is the "Numbered Numerically" - that's neither in the examples nor in the actual journal, so I have no idea what they mean here. <<

I had the same question and got upon my request following answer from the journal:

To correctly format the references, please see the following example:

[1] Akbal, F., Camci, S. 2011. Copper, chromium and nickel removal from metal plating wastewater by electrocoagulation. Desalination., 269(1-3), 214-222.
    [2] Beesley, L., Marmiroli, M. 2011. The immobilisation and retention of soluble arsenic, cadmium and zinc by biochar. Environ. Pollut., 159(2), 474-480.
    [3] Boudrahem, F., Soualah, A., Aissani-Benissad, F. 2011. Pb(II) and
    Cd(II) Removal from Aqueous Solutions Using Activated Carbon Developed from Coffee Residue Activated with Phosphoric Acid and Zinc Chloride. J.
    Chem. Eng. Data., 56(5), 1946-1955.
    [4] Brooks, L., Parravicini, V., Svardal, K., Kroiss, H., Prendl, L.
    2008. Biogas from sugar beet press pulp as substitute of fossil fuel in sugar beet factories. Water Sci.Technol., 58(7), 1497-1504.
  • but author-date in the text? So all this does is essentially counting the references?
    I haven't thought about this much, so I could be wrong, but I don't think we can do this at the moment.
  • @adamsmith, citation-number should always hold the index of the bibliographic entry in the bibliography, so this should be possible.
  • Rintze is right. We can absolutely do this, it's only one line of code.
    <text variable="citation-number" prefix="[" suffix="] "/>
  • @adamsmith: Yes, it is still author-year in the text and just counting the references. I guess to ease the review process.
  • thanks shriga for the note - the style is now up, will show up on the repository within the next 30mins.
  • I just installed the Bioresource Technology citation style (evidently updated in April 2013), and my reference list is still not numbered. Is there an easy way to enable this, or is there another style that would meet their needs? Thanks!
  • not sure what happened there - I'll try to figure out & fix this, thanks for letting us know.
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by re-installing it from the repository. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)

Styles should also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+

Any further problems please let us know.