Reference Type - Chapter of An Edited Book?

Hi:

I just downloaded Zotero and started playing around it - very impressed so far!

I noticed, though, that I can't seem to find a reference type for a chapter from an edited book. For example:

Bandura, A. (1991). Social cognitive theory of moral thought and action. In W.M.
Kurtines & J.L. Gewirtz (Eds.), Handbook of moral behavior and development:
Vol. 1: Theory (pp. 45-109). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

Is this something that people have figured out a way to do with the current release? And if not, will this be added soon?

Thanks!
  • The type is book section.

Add a contributor with type "author" and two contributors of type "editor." Fill in all other fields as you'd expect.
  • Ah! I see... I knew I must be missing something obvious! I didn't realize there were the different author types.

Thanks!
  • edited February 9, 2007
    What about page numbers -- there's a Pages field, but as far as I understand it, this is for the total number of pages in the volume, rather than the page numbers of the specific section.

Is that right, and if so, does it make any practical difference (i.e. will it cause problems with bibliography-creating down the line), or should I just add it in there and not worry?

A second question: I've added a book from a library search, then changed it to a Book Section type, and added the chapter author as Author. Zotero lists the item Creator as "[editor 1] et al", which is a bit misleading for a chapter. It seems to simply take the first listed Editor/author/etc as the Creator.

There seems to be no way to re-order the creators, and so if I want the Chapter Author to display as Creator, I have to remove all the editors, then add author, then add the editors back in. Am I right that this is the only way to do this, or am I being thick?
  • sparkyc84, with respect to your first question about the 'Book Section" item type: you should be able to generate a properly formatted bibliographic entry by adding the chapter page numbers to the "Pages" field, at least when output in MLA style.
  • Thanks, kkraus; I'll do that. Maybe my second question is actually a feature request...
  • just to add to your request-- I don't see how to add a separate title for the book section. How would I put in the chapter title within the edited book of a different title?
  • The chapter title goes in the "Title" field; the book title goes in the "Publication" field.
  • Hi,

I am using Zotero version 1.0.7 and to my surprise I am not able to find "Editors" field in the Book Section entry. Is this only my installation or is there a bug?

Thanks
    Sreekar
  • Hover your mouse over "Author" & you'll see that it is actually a dropdown, where you can select a contributor's role.
  • Thanks for the tip. I will keep this in mind.

I instead created the reference in bibtex and imported it into zotero.
  • I'd like to reemphasize one of the questions above.

For chapters/sections of edited volumes, it would be ideal to have the chapter/section author listed as a primary creator and the editors as secondary creators, so that the bibliographical information can be exported correctly (in various styles):

CHAP AUTHOR(S), "CHAP TITLE" in _BOOK TITLE_, ed BOOK EDITOR(S)... etc.

Version 1.07 lumps the creators together at the beginning of the entry, privledging the editors rather than the chapter/section author. Will this be remedied in future versions?

Thanks!
  • Actually this is fully dependent on the citation style you're using as long as you've got the data alright. Click on 'author' to change it into 'editor' for the editors, and allmost all styles will list the author as author and the editors as editors, just as in your example.

See Edited volumes and book chapters.
  • I have a problem with this as well - I can do Book Section and then Editors - which is fine for quite a few of my course books - but one thing I have to deal with is collections of essays/file papers. I can cope with manually going through the biography if necessary, removing the words (ed), but what I do need are two dates.

For example, my current book from the OU was written in 2006 by the Course Team. It consists of a set of different file papers written at different times.

Example below:
    Energy Users Research Association (1983) ‘The economics of insulation’, In The Course Team (ed.), T862 File Papers, Wakefield, The Open University

Should be:-
    Energy Users Research Association (1983) ‘The economics of insulation’, In The Course Team (2006), T862 File Papers, Wakefield, The Open University

I would have though a 'Section Date' and 'Book Date' should be fairly easy to implement?
  • edited March 5, 2009
    [Reply moved to your other topic. Please try to avoid posting the same issue in multiple places.]
  • Since the original question has been resolved, I'm closing this thread.
This discussion has been closed.