Firefox Plugin Error: "There was an error starting Zotero."

I am using the Zotero FF plugin with FF 8. Every time I click on the plugin icon, I get an error message: "There was an error starting Zotero." If I reinstall the FF plugin on my browser, I get full functionality until I log out of my machine (I'm on a network account). I am also using two different Zotero accounts, on two separate FF profiles. My other Zotero account, on a different FF profile, is working just fine. Any ideas?
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs#reporting_startup_errors

My guess would be some access permission issue wrt the network drive, but let's see what you get with this.
  • Thanks Adam! I followed the steps at the link you gave. Of the "extensions" files that I was supposed to delete, I could only find the .rdf and .sqlite files. I didn't get any error messages that started with "chrome://zotero", or that did not have a URL. This is the only message I found:

Error: Zotero is not defined
    Source File: http://www.zotero.org/static/js/zotero.1316822452.js
    Line: 35
  • Try it again, and be sure you've restarted your computer. That error is unrelated to the Zotero extension.
  • Still not working.
  • Try generating debug output for Firefox startup through the error. You can e-mail it to support@zot....org, with a link to this thread.
  • I was having the same/similar problem. An alternate thread suggested reinstalling Zotero. I did this and it fixed my problem.
  • Removing zotero as a Firefox complement and reinstalling solved my problem.
  • Hello,

I have zotero 4.0.21.2 in Firefox 18.0.2 and Fedora 16 with LibreOffice Integration 3.5.9.
    Yesterday morning I booted and got "There was an error starting Zotero."
    I tried rebooting, deleting the extension.* files in the addons folder and rebooting, and today I tried reinstalling zotero and rebooting.
    All I get is the same error message. The plugin is working fine from other computers though.
    Any ideas?

Thank you,

Marcos
  • update Firefox. Zotero will regularly not work in outdated Firefox versions and it's a bad idea to use those anyway.