express the language for non-english papers in reference

Hallo guys, I have a problem in editing style for the International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology. In the instructions for authors (http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/395/authorinstructions#68000) and subsequently in the detailed information (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/uniform_requirements.html)
is noted that reference of paper, which is not written in english shoud contain expression of the language.
(e.g. Ellingsen AE, Wilhelmsen I. Sykdomsangst blant medisin- og jusstudenter. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2002;122(8):785-7. Norwegian.)
I have searched for a while, yet I have no answer if this is possible and how. Does anyone have an idea?
  • No, it's not possible to specify the language after a publication.
    (The style, btw., is Vancouver for the bibliography and Elsevier's Harvard style for in text citaitons - shouldn't be too hard to merge those two).
  • Wait -- I thought we can do this in the latest versions of Zotero and citeproc-js, since language is being mapped now.
  • This is an interesting wrinkle. The language field is mapped, so if you enter "Norwegian" in the Language field, it should be possible to render it in a citation using a "language" variable (in the CSL). On the CSL side, language isn't yet a legal variable, though, so under the current schema (version 1.0) the style will not validate, although it should run okay.

This raises a question over how the language should be expressed in the field, though. In the multilingual development fork of Zotero, we expect to see language codes in this field (so "no" or "no-NO" in this case, I think). For a rendered language name, we could either map the code to a human-readable name, or skip the code for rendering purposes and render whatever trails after it as the CSL variable (so the field might read "no-NO Norwegian"). The former solution seems cleaner, because the field could then be controlled in Zotero by a pulldown menu of some sort. But it would imply a rather bulky addition to the CSL locales to carry the names ...

Any thoughts on preferred ways of handling this going forward?
  • I know that we discussed this by email at length over a year ago, and I think I'm currently in favor of using codes, especially since recent movement on the BCP 47 front is going bring us comprehensive transliteration and translation support within that code system.

The question of localization was discussed by the Mozilla project not long ago (under 6 mos), and they're localizing a core set of languages, with the option of more localized for specific locales. It may be possible to use those localized names for CSL, but we'd need to work out licensing (although I'm not sure a list of language names, even in multiple languages, is eligible for copyright)
  • I really appreciate your comments!

To Adam: Thanks for the tips! First I did a modification of Harvard for the purpose of my publication, but actually I found it very interesting to specify a style in csl and it become to be my next hobby :-), although I have not much time to perform such nasty things as hobbies ;-). So now I nearly made the style from the blank page and just wondering if this is somehow possible (or if i missed something in the csl documentation).

To fbennet: This is exactly what I thought. I found the language field in zotero and recognized, that in one entry this field was automatically filled with "en" (I added a citation of a book from the google books page). But this was just one case from hundreds.. As I think this is not a very often problem, maybe I would be O.K. for both the csl and user if the csl just read, what is in the field as normal variable and then, if it would be wrong, user just had to change the field language to whatever he fits (so the language field would be "Norvegian"). Nevertheless, I´m a newbie and don´t understand the code (just using it according to manual)...

Thank you all again!
  • Could you please share the style you edited for The IJBCB?
    Thanks a lot!