Style Request: Vancouver with bibliography organized alphabetically

I may have missed it but I am looking for a Vancouver citation style in which the bibliography (references) are listed alphabetically, rather than by citation order in the text of the article. This seems like a simple deviation from the styles already posted, but without much recent experience in programming, I am concerned that I will foul it up.

The journal for which this is requested is Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine. The URL for the instructions for authors is https://www.editorialmanager.com/asem/account/AUTHOR_INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

Any help, advice, suggestions, etc. are appreciated.
  • Here's a list of numerical styles that sort alphabetically (these are the filenames - titles shouldn't be hard to guess:

acm-sigchi-proceedings.csl
    acm-sig-proceedings.csl
    acm-sig-proceedings-longauthorlist.csl
    advances-in-complex-systems.csl
    american-physiological-society.csl
    american-phytopathological-society-num.csl
    annals-of-biomedical-engineering.csl
    annual-reviews-alphabetically.csl
    arzneimitteltherapie.csl
    asm-journals.csl
    clinical-orthopaedics-and-related-research.csl
    gost-r-7-0-5-2008.csl
    gost-r-7-0-5-2008-csl-1-0.csl
    hicss-conf-proceedings.csl
    journal-of-food-protection.csl
    journal-of-management-information-systems.csl
    journal-of-neurosurgery.csl
    journal-of-shoulder-and-elbow-surgery.csl
    lncs2.csl
    molecular-biochemical-parasitology.csl
    neuroscience-letters.csl
    sngtv.csl

I'm pretty sure there is at least one Vancover-style journal among them (I think the shoulder and elbow one?). Have a look and we can take it from there.
  • Right now it looks like clinical-orthopaedics-and-related-research.csl works pretty well for this purpose at this point. I scanned through the updated reference list using this .csl, and it looks right for this journal except two "major" things that I noticed: (1) the number of authors is limited to six (references with more than six lists the first six authors then "et al."): and (2) reference to papers for which authors have received a letter of acceptance but which have not yet been published must include the journal name and the words "In press.".

Three things that seems pretty minor in the grand scheme of things but would be nice to know how to edit would be: (1) according to this journal's requirements, they don't want a period after the title of the journal; (2)rather than spaces after the number in the reference list, how can I edit this to be a tab (and tab on the soft return) so that things line up; and (3) how to change in text citations from square brackets to parentheses.
  • Correction minor editing #1: The clinical-orthopaedics-and-related-research.csl puts periods after the abbreviations for the journal title which is not desired for Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine.

P.S. Thanks for help with this. There are several of us here who have started using this program for our papers, and there is one big group in another area who have been looking for a program like this. Most of us submit one or two papers to Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine each year.
  • Finally found the link for this journal with example citations.

http://www.editorialmanager.com/asem/account/FORMAT_REFERENCES.pdf
  • edited December 6, 2011
    This all is pretty basic and should be a quick fix - Could you just compare the style to the general Vancouver style and give me a list of differences and I'll code it for you.
  • I am not sure that I can capture them all at once, but here are the ones that I have noticed thus far; I am sure that our technical editor will catch more later on, but all I can work off now is the examples that I have generated.

(1) Bibliography in alphabetical order instead of citation order
    (2) No periods after the abbreviations for journal names
    (3) No month of publication for journal articles, only the year
    (4) Articles which are accepted but not published should be listed as "In Press" for year
    (5) For book reference, after the year of publication no period but use colon. Also no "p." or "pp." before the page numbers.

Thanks again for your help. This is outstanding!
  • OK, it's up - see how it works.
    1,2,3 are done. 4 isn't currently possible. 5 is correct for chapters - page ranges for books aren't currently supported (and are an odd requirement)
  • Hello, I have the same problem, and I have tried to use clinical-orthopaedics-and-related-research.csl but it is available in english only. Is there a way to get a Romanian version? Or are there any other ways to solve this problem?
    Thank You!
  • Is this for a specific journal?
  • I made the original request because we were submitting papers to Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine. That journal now is called Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance. This style has been acceptable to that journal.
  • Hi!

Same question again: Style for the Journal - "Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance". It seems the original link is no longer valid and I cannot find it in the style search. Please could you point me in the right direction to find the required style for AMHP?

Many thanks indeed for the assistance.
  • That style is still there: https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:aviation-space-and-environmental-medicine

I guess we'd need to update the name.
  • We have updated the journal with the new name and I also made some changes to the style. It can be now found on the repository.