Style Request: [Scandinavian Political Studies]

I'm requesting a style for Scandinavian Political Studies which I have not found.

I think that the Harvard style is the best point of departure for creating this style.

I have copied the examples from the journal below. See also the link to guidelines for the journal.

Example of reference list:

Damgaard, E. 1974. `Stability and Change in the Danish Party System over Half a Century', Scandinavian Political Studies 9, 103-25.
Pesonen, P. 1968. An Election in Finland. New Haven: Yale University Press.
Rokkan, S. 1975. `Towards a Generalized Concept of Verzuiling', Paper, ECPR Workshop on Religion and Language in Politics, London.
Valen, H. & Rokkan, S. 1977. `Norway: Conflict Structure and Mass Politics in a European Periphery', in Rose, R., ed., Electoral Behavior: A Comparative Handbook. New York: Free Press.

References in the text appear as follows: Rokkan (1975) or (Benedictow 1974; Valen & Rokkan 1977) or (Pesonen 1968, 15; Damgaard 1974, 103; Uusitalo 1975, 15).

http://www.wiley.com/bw/submit.asp?ref=0080-6757&site=1

See some sample issues here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9477;jsessionid=10A6B4CC53D20A7AD8AA613A19F84A2C.d03t03?systemMessage=Wiley+Online+Library+will+be+disrupted+3+Dec+from+10-12+GMT+for+monthly+maintenance

Thank you
Gustav
  • https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Requesting-Styles
    see 3.)
  • I belive I have done that. Could you please be more specific.
  • Provide a list of the precise differences between the style you found and the style you need. This is typically the most time-consuming part of style creation. Make sure to pay attention to the main item types (e.g., books, chapters, journal articles, and websites). Pay close attention to the use of punctuation, the use of abbreviations (such as "pp.", "eds.", journal abbreviations), formatting (italics, bold), the use of "et al." in in-text citations and in bibliographic entries (after how many authors, how many authors are displayed), the way URLs are cited, etc.
  • Ok!

I have used Harvard Reference Format1 and will below show the differences between this style and the one asked for in Scandinavian Political Studies. I will give examples for books, chapters in books and articles since these are the only references that are explained by the journal

There are no differences regarding references in the text.

So, when it comes to the reference list and references to journals.

Harvard has this style:

Lipset, S.M., 1959. Some social requisites of democracy. American Political Science Review, 53(1), pp.69-105.

Scandinavian Political Studies want this style:

Lipset, S.M. 1959. `Some social requisites of democracy', American Political Science Review 53, pp.69-105.

Note: the name of the journal should be in italics. The other differences are: no comma after the initials; singe quotation marks (I think...) around the title of the article; the title is not followed by a point but a comma; no comma after the journal name; no informatiom about the issue of the journal.

Regarding references to books:

Harvard has this style:

Dahl, R.A. & Tufte, E.R., 1973. Size and democracy, Stanford: Stanford University Press.

Dahl, R.A. & Tufte, E.R. 1973. Size and democracy. Stanford: Stanford University Press.

Note: nothing in italics. The other differences are: no comma after the initials of the last author before the year; a point after the title instead of a comma.

Regarding book chapters:

Harvard has this style:

van Dijk, J., 2000. Models of Democracy and Concepts of Communication. In K. L. Hacker & J. van Dijk, eds. Digital Democracy: Issues of Theory & Practice. London: Sage.

van Dijk, J. 2000. `Models of Democracy and Concepts of Communication', in Hacker, K. L. & van Dijk, J., ed., Digital Democracy: Issues of Theory & Practice. London: Sage.

Note: nothing in italics. The other differences are: no comma after the initials of the last author before the year; singe quotation marks (I think...) around the title of the chapter; the title of the chapter is not followed by a point but a comma; the editors name in the order of lastname first followed by a comma and then the initials; followed by: ed., (not eds.).
  • Looks good. I should be able to get this done soon-ish, isn't too much work.
  • Thank you! I'm looking forward to the result.
  • Ok - this is now up and will show up in the style repository shortly. I've gone with published articles where they diverged from the style guide (e.g. book titles are always in italics). Any problems let me know.
  • Thank you!

I do, however, have a few further questions.

First of all, when I use this style in my document I get double and not single quotation marks in the reference list. Another thing regarding the quotation marks, is that they should be followed by a comma when indicating titles of articles. I get the comma before and not after the quotation marks. Do you know why?

Second, book titles should be followed by a full stop not a comma.
  • I'll do 2.) tomorrow.
    1. I don't know - works for me and - as you can see - in the preview - somehow your locale files don't seem to work correctly. I'll see if I can come up with a theory on why.
  • Ok! That will be great.
  • OK, 2 is now done. I still don't have a good idea of why 1.) isn't working for you.