Zotero Toolbar missing in Word 2011

May I ask for help please?

I installed Zotero for my Word 2011 running in Mac OS X 10.6.8. There was a Zotero toolbar initially and everything was fine. Then one day, I closed the toolbar, and now I can't get it to appear again. I can still use Zotero using the applescript, but it is more of a hassle without the toolbar. How can I get the toolbar to appear again?

Thanks a million!
  • - make sure that the Zotero toolbar is enabled in View→Toolbars, and ensure that Zotero.dot appears and is enabled in Word's Tools→Templates and Add-ins window.

- if that doesn't work, follow the steps here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#zotero_toolbar_doesn_t_appear
  • Thanks for your reply.

Both the toolbar and zotero.dot are found in my Firefox and Word respectively. I have tried the steps in the link before and it still doesn't seem to work...

Anything else I can try? Thank you!
  • There is no toolbar in Mac version and no zotero.dot file. Zotero functions are available through the script menu.
  • edited November 3, 2011
    that's what I thought but
    VBA support has been restored in Word for Mac 2011, and the Zotero plugin for Word 2011 includes a toolbar in addition to an AppleScript menu folder.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/no_toolbar_in_word_2008_plugin
  • Ah, correct. I can indeed get the toolbar to show by choosing View -> Toolbars.
  • Maybe my meaning wasn't clear.. I don't mean the toolbar on Firefox, but the small pop-up Zotero "toolbar" that appears at the side of my Word document when I open MS Word in my Mac. I used to have it each time I switch on my MS Word, till one day I clicked the "close" icon on it, then I could never find it again...
  • http://www.macworld.com/article/158396/2011/03/wordtoolbars.html

"Use the View menu to hide or reveal toolbars."

Does that help?
  • Harry - no, you were perfectly clear, mronkko was confused because there was no toolbar in Mac Word 2008.
  • Thanks, Adam. This is a BIG help.
  • II have just downloaded Zotero and run into the same problems with the toolbar in Word 2011 for Mac running Lion. I'm running the standalone and Safari. Note: Office 2011 does support VBA Macros (unlike 2008).
    I've made 3 changes and now both the script menu has the "Zotero" field and the Zotero Toolbar appears, floating beneath the Word menu. What's more, they work!

(1) Update Zotero.dot to Zertero.dotm by opening it in Word and saving it using "Save As", Format : " Word Macro-Enabled Document (.dotm)".
    (2) Go to "Preferences>File Locations" in Word and make sure "startup" is pointing to the location of Zerero.dotm (Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Startup, in my case).
    (3) Copy (safer than Move!) the "Zotero" scripts folder from: "/Users/Username/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Word Script Menu Items" to: "/Users/Username/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/Word Script Menu Items". This is tricky as Apple, in their wisdom, have hidden this Library folder. Open it by clicking "Go>Go To Folder" in Finder and entering the address given above.
  • Just for others who might read this, none of those three things should be necessary. Zotero.dot works fine as is in Word 2011, that should be the default Startup location for most installations, and the latest version of the Zotero Word plugin should automatically save scripts to the new script menu items location (which, yes, MS changed without warning or auto-migration in 2011 SP2).
  • I'm running Word version 14.2.0, which is the latest as far as I can make out.
    I've rechecked the .dot vs .dotm and you are correct, it's the location of "startup" in "Preferences>File Locations" that needed to be changed which wasted a few hours fooling around.
    As for the scripts, I downloaded Zotero standalone yesterday and that's the location it installed the scripts - once moved the menu item appeared. This was not helped by the hidden Library folder which I didn't know about.
    Another problem I encountered concerns PDFs. I use the Acrobat add-in for both Safari and Firefox. Neither browsers would capture PDFs which wasted more time as this is what I initially used to checkout Zotero after installation. I changed Firefox's PDF reader to pdf.js (https://github.com/mozilla/pdf.js/) and then Zotero worked well with PDFs. It may work with Safari and Preview (Apple's default PDF viewer), but I can't verify this as the checkbox in Reader's preferences that selects Reader as the PDF viewer was ticked but greyed out. Another mystery.
  • As for the scripts, I downloaded Zotero standalone yesterday and that's the location it installed the scripts - once moved the menu item appeared.
    That's true—Standalone still has an older version of the plugin. We'll be putting out a newer one with the updated plugin shortly. But the toolbar should still work by default on nearly all systems without changing anything—Zotero saves Zotero.dot to what's been the default location for years.
    This was not helped by the hidden Library folder which I didn't know about.
    The best way to access the active script menu folder is from "About This Menu" in the scripts menu itself.
    Another problem I encountered concerns PDFs.
    Please start new threads for other issues. (Adobe's latest Mac PDF plugin version is broken, if that's your issue.)
  • I found a solution to my problem of being unable to get the toolbar in my Word 2011. I had been using the Firefox interface and had not downloaded the standalone version of Zotero in years. I downloaded an update to the standalone. I opened the new zotero and restarted Word and now my toolbar has appeared for the first time ever!
  • Standalone likely didn't make a difference here - re-installing the Word plugin from the cite tab - which is essentially what Standalone does on install - would have achieved the same. But there is no harm in having both Standalone and the FIrefox version.
  • I have Word 2011/ MacOS El Capitan. I've installed the Zotero Mac plug-in--View > Toolbars shows that the Zotero Bibliographic Management toolbar is installed. However, no such tools appear on the Word interface.