Numbering Style

Hi! I am working on my thesis and am using Zotero extensively. This may be simple but I would like to know what style provides citation style such as this:

"...friction is called a pressure sore.(1,2)" instead of "...friction is called a pressure sore.(1)(2)"

Basically I need references to group up (1,2-5) instead of (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)

Thanks.
  • edited April 20, 2011
    pretty much any numbered style (with the exception of IEEE) - you'll need to use the multiple sources function in the word processor plugin - unlike Endnote et al Zotero doesn't auto-merge adjacent citations.

edit: obviously you'd get (1-5) and not (1, 2-5) - but you'd get (1, 3-5), which is what I assume you meant.
  • Thanks Adamsmith. And yeah I meant (1,3-5) as an example.

I will try that out and post back.
  • That worked. Is there a way to do this on a document which has already been referenced with individual citations? I mean, auto-merge already present citations?
  • no, not currently, sorry.
  • Ouch. Have a lot of work to do then. Thanks again, appreciate your help.
  • I am sorry that I am bringing this up after 2 years.

I am using multiple sources feature of Zotero. I select 4 references (transfer them to the right hand side list) and insert the citation.

I am using IEEE format and the citation appears as [1]-[4]. How can I have it as [1-4]?

Thanks.
  • According to the IEEE style manual they should be [1]-[4]
    Do you actually need IEEE with this one exception (in which case you'd have to modify the CSL) or do you need a bracketed numeric style that does [1-4] (in which case there are plenty of alternatives).
  • As far as I know, that is correct for IEEE.

http://www.ieee.org/documents/ieeecitationref.pdf

(There are sample in-text citations on the last page.)
  • It is strange. I have been using IEEE and "IEEE intelligent systems" styles on Endnote and I always had them grouped.

I need IEEE reference style with the type of citation I mentioned. May I know what alternative styles (with the bracketed [1-4] citation) is more similar to IEEE?

Otherwise I'll modify the CSL.

Regards.
  • edited April 9, 2013
    It's not that surprising that Endnote would have errors in their styles.

You're probably best off modifying your style.
    See here for general instructions:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step

specifically you want to find this:

<layout delimiter=", ">
    <text variable="citation-number" prefix="[" suffix="]"/>

and change it to

<layout delimiter=", " prefix="[" suffix="]">
    <text variable="citation-number"/>
  • Thank you very much for your help.

The problem is that the Endnote's wrong citation style has become the official IEEE style in our school (since university provides Endnote license for everyone).

I am sure they will bug me if I use the correct one.
  • Sure, you'll have to do what your school is requiring. Never hurts to point out to your admins/profs, though, that what they're requiring isn't actually IEEE.
  • The problem is that the Endnote's wrong citation style has become the official IEEE style in our school (since university provides Endnote license for everyone).
    Nice! Definitely one for the file.