case sensitivity of tags

I'm just wondering if there is a technical reason why the tags in Zotero are case sensitive. For example, I do research on Open Source Software, depending on where I get the data from, they'll have tags like "open source software" "Open source software" "Open Source Software", or "OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE". IMHO, these should be treated as the same tag, but in the tag selection window, I see this appear many times.

While I can go back and change the casing of tags, it changes the color of the tag icon from orange to cyan and makes it harder for me to tell if I added the tag, or if the author specified the tag. Also, it's a big time sink. Naively, I could run something "update tags set tag=lower(tag)" on my database, but that leaves me with dangling duplicates. Yech.
  • edited December 1, 2007
    Comparisons in JavaScript and SQLite are case-sensitive.

I'll create a ticket for this, though note that this would of course keep the case of the first version of the tag (say, all uppercase) even if subsequent versions used something more sensible. But at least you'd only have to fix the case once.
  • Any progress on this? It is pretty annoying, and I have to believe most users run into this problem sooner or later (whether they realize it or not!).
This discussion has been closed.