Style Request: SHA- Society for Historical Archaeology

I am requesting the SHA journal format. A greater number of archaeologists, especially maritime archaeologists, work in this format so its utility is ever increasing.
SHA is closest to the American Antiquity (4th draft) style I found in the repository, I believe it is a dependent style. It is also similar to SAA or Society of American Archaeologists style guide. The differences will be outlined below for American Antiquity because it is the only similar style I could find in the repository, despite a reference to SAA in an earlier forum, I do not see it posted. As best I can tell, SHA, like SAA and American Antiquity, are all confusing derivatives of Chicago Manual of Style 15th edition.

Itemized differences from American Antiquity (draft 4):
Date of publication all the way to the left
5 space gap between date and title of work
When citing an edited work, note the difference in SHA style author, editor, pp. instead of AA style, title, edited by and author.
No need for doi in journal entries in SHA style
For journal entries in SHA style there is no need for month in parentheses of journal entry. Just volume and (number) followed by pages.
All dates are day month year in SHA style
Newspaper articles: no month and day in beginning of citation only year. No comma after newspaper title just day and month, no section reference. Then a colon followed by volume and issue number or pages. Then place of publication.
Multiple editions: again no month and day just year of publication. Edition is spelled out in SHA style.
Italics for book, main edition, newspaper, or journal in which something is cited (see below).

Differences from the American Antiquity
Citation:
The following is SHA format for a book citation (Author last name Year published: page numbers). Example (Hall 1969:184–197).
Am. Antiquity citation has Author followed by period and year. Example (Hartman et al. 1999)

On the topic of latin abbreviations, in SHA style, the term “et al.” is allowed
to substitute for authors’ names within text citations when there are three or more names (Johnson et al.) only in references cited, not bibliography.

Bibliographic:
There are some significant changes in the bibliographic style. I believe some of the spacing will be tricky (based on what I read about SAA- style in an earlier post). Book example:
SHA:
Ferguson, Leland
1992 Uncommon Ground: An Archaeology of Early African America 1650–1800. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, DC.

The title is in italics and note there are 5 (five) spaces after the date of publication to the title. This is not the case for the AA style as shown in the bibliographic examples in the repository.

Book Section example:
Garrow, Patrick H.
1981 The Use of Converging Lines of Evidence for Determining Socioeconomic Status. In Consumer Choice in Historical Archaeology, Suzanne M. Spencer-Wood, editor, pp. 217–231. Plenum Press, New York, NY.

Again, the title of the work, in this case, Consumer Choice in Hist. Arch. is italicized, the smaller section is not and the ever present 5 spaces after the year.

Journal Article example:
Always include the issue number (in parentheses) if the series has them. Also provide the usual volume, number, and pages for popular magazines (Time, New Yorker) as for journals, not just dates.

Reitz, Elizabeth J.
1986 Urban/Rural Contrasts in Vertebrate Fauna from the Southern Atlantic Coastal Plain. Historical Archaeology 20(2):47–58.

For journals, the journal title is italicized. In this case, Historical Archaeology is italicized, not the paper title.

Website Example:

Stanford Archaeological Center
2004 Market Street Chinatown Archaeological Project, Post Summer Update. Stanford
Archaeology Center, Stanford University, CA <http://www.stanford.edu/~cengel/SJCT/>. Accessed October 21.

Again 5 spaces from the date and the title. Note language for Accessed and date, in this case not Day Month.

A tricky aspect of this style is same author for multiple works. Here is an example:
Multiple references, same author, same year—Listed in text (citation) as (Rose 1985a, 1985b) or Rose (1985a, 1985b), but list them separately in the References section with the edited source second:

Rose, Jerome C.
1985a Cedar Grove and Black American History. In Gone to a Better Land, Jerome C. Rose, editor, pp. 146–152. Arkansas Archeological Research Series, No. 25. Fayetteville.

Rose, Jerome C. (editor)
1985b Gone to a Better Land. Arkansas Archeological Research Series, No. 25. Fayetteville.

Link to SHA style guide: http://www.sha.org/publications/style_guide.cfm
Link to article utilizing the style: http://www.sha.org/publications/technical_briefs/volume01/article03.cfm
  • I forgot to add thanks for your help and time, much appreciated!
  • I just wanted to voice my support for this request. If this style guide is added the Museum of Underwater Archaeology would help promote it to the members of the society.
  • it's bookmarked, but will take some time.
  • Great! Thanks Adam.
  • OK, I now have an SHA style here
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/raw/master/sha.csl
    (this is the csl 1.0 repository).
    Download using the link above right click --> save link as...
    and then drag the downloaded file to any open FF window to install.
    We don't have much experience with these files yet, so please report back. Also, I've tested this for books, edited books, book chapter, journal articles and newspaper articles - any other item type - also let me know how it goes.
  • Wow, where have I been? Thanks Adam, I will get back to you with my report. I will also let you know about other item types not included. Thanks again, your service is greatly appreciated.
  • you can install the style from the repository, no need to follow the instructions above.
  • In SHA format, Zotero is listing the publisher location before the actual publisher in the bibliography--not in true SHA format. Any ideas or suggestions?
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by re-installing it from the repository. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)

Styles should also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know.