How to export the bibliography to Word 2010

I am trying to export the references from Zotero to Word 2010. Any idea?

Thanks in advance
  • what do you mean by "Export"? Import into the built in bibliography manager of Word? Or create a bibliography in word?
  • I meant import into the built in bibliography manager of Word. Thanks for pointing that out
  • Why would anyone want to do that? Word's citation management is pathetic.

This didn't use to be possible. Zotero Exports to .bib and .ris - any bib manager should import that. If Word doesn't you're stuck (but really, you don't want to use that feature in word).
  • So, what bibliography manager do you suggest to use with Word?
  • Zotero? (although pretty much any product you can think of is better than the one built into Word: Mendeley, Endnote, Refworks, Citavi... you name it).
  • Ah! I'm a newbie and didn't intend cheek with my question. I just don't know how to use Zotero when developing my document (e.g. to quickly insert footnotes w/out having to cut and paste from the static bibliography). So, I've figured out how to use Zotero during my research and info. collecting, and how to import the bibliography into my Word doc., but haven't (yet!) figured out how to efficiently use it during my writing process to insert references. Any suggestions or related threads you can suggest would be appreciated!
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage
  • It was there all along...Terrific! Thanks so much, Adam Smith!!
  • I can't get Zotero to use the referencing style I need. MS Word does the referencing style I need (after I downloaded some files from Microsoft). Now I want to export the refs I've collected in Zotero so I can use Word to generate the bibliographt in the required reference style. I have tried exporting the library in a number of different styles and then importing into Word 2010 but I haven't yet found a file format that is compatible. Does anyone know if there is one?
  • edited June 20, 2014
    @bianca11: Would be very surprised to learn that the Zotero style repository is missing a style that is covered by Word's bibliography support. What is the style's name, or what do typical references look like?
  • I would like to import zotero references to the built-in database of word 2013. Do you have any suggestion?

I need it and not the zotero one,
    thanks
  • If Word's bibliography feature doesn't import any of the many standard output formats that Zotero exports--and I believe that may actually still be the case--there's nothing much you can do except to take this as a sign not to rely on Word's crappy referencing function.
  • Unluckily at work I've to rely on only word databases saved into words files and also shared word files and I've still to work using only it and not zotero...
  • right, but there's really not much we can do about that. It's really on MS/Word to support industry standards here. There are some tools that try to convert between formats that Zotero _can_ export to Word -- you can see if bibutils mods2wordbib works for you: http://sourceforge.net/p/bibutils/home/Bibutils/
    but no guarantees.
  • Thank you for the reply
  • To export library of citations from zotero to word inbuilt feature,

1) Export zotero library in bibtex format
    2) Install JabRef software, and import the earlier file into JabRef
    3) From JabReb export to 'Word 2007 XML' format
    4) Now in word, open citation source manager and import the XML file.

this should work.
  • edited June 10, 2015
    Hi,
    Just wondering if Zotero can create a bibliography for an already typed document. I used Word Citation Manager before and when you click bibliography it "reads" the references you have in there and adds them to your bibliography. Is there a way to do this with Zotero rather than doing the cite-as-you-write?
  • no, sorry. Not sure how Zotero would be able to somewhat reliably recognize references in a document? That'd seem to involve a lot of guessing.
  • Hi, I'm trying to install the Word plug-in so that I can use Zotero to import all of my references that I've collected there into a Word document that I've already written (using APA format in text to cite).

On the plug-in install page (https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation), I click on the install link (labeled: "Install Word for Windows Plugin 3.1.19 (Firefox extension)"), but while it downloads, I can't install it, and keep getting a "Windows can't open this file" pop up. PS-I use Chrome as a brower, but even when I tried using Firefox, it didn't work.

Can anyone help? Is there a better way to just get my references list in Zotero into the correct format so I can paste it at the end of my report?
  • you should be using Zotero Standalone, which I assume you are already?
    If so, that installs the Word add-on the first time you run it.
  • Just figured out how to do it. Thanks again, @adamsmith!!