Problem numbering citations consecutively

I'm just finishing up my first document with Zotero and the MS Word plugin, and I'm having trouble getting my citations to be numbered correctly. I'm using the IEEE style, but the citations in the bibliography aren't in the order in which they are cited.

I've followed the advice here: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/1453/

But that doesn't appear to fix the problem. Is this a known bug?

firefox 2.0.0.9, zotero 1.0.1, MSWord plugin 1.0b1
  • I've been experiencing the same problem. i've tried refreshing, changing citation styles and back, even starting with a brand new document and citing references in order... Zotero somehow automatically re-number the citations in the text so that they are no longer in order. Please help...

I am using Mac OS X, Zotero 1.0.1, and MS Word 2004 for Mac.

Thanks a lot.
  • I'm having the same problem with both IEEE and National Library of Medicine styles. Also, I am in the middle of writing a huge paper and I have started getting error messages saying, "An error occurred communicating with Zotero. Please ensure Firefox is open and try again." I have the latest version of Zotero, Mozilla 2.0.0.10, Windows XP, and Word 2003. I tried restarting word, closing and restarting Firefox, and restarting my computer, but none of that worked.

Please help! I currently have all of my citations in the wrong style, and if I don't get this fixed it could take me a few hours to go through and fix everything! (It's a really big paper.)

Despite my current frustrations, I really appreciate this program! There are still a lot of issues to work out, but this is still extremely valuable and holds great promise for future versions. Thanks!
  • RE: 294496804

I am having a similar problem. I can insert new citations, but cannot edit my previous citations. Zotero does not recognize my previous citations. When I click on "Edit Citations" in the plugin toolbar after having placed the cursor on the citations, I get this error message "You must place the cursor in a Zotero citation to edit it." RE: 294496804
    I have tried everything on this page: http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting with no luck.

Please advise. Thanks.
  • Re. my comment above, I forgot to provide my info
    Zotero version: 4.0.6
    Word plug in: 3.1.12
  • do the old citations show up when you insert a bibliography?
  • No, they don't. Only ones that are newly added show up in the bibliography. Thanks for your reply.
  • If you're using Word, try clicking alt+F9 and see if any field codes show up for the old references. In LibreOffice/OpenOffice, hover your mouse over the reference and you should see them pop up.
    If they don't, I fear they've somehow been deleted. That would most likely happen by saving this in a format that doesn't support Fields/Reference Marks - e.g. saving a Word document as .rtf or saving a Libre Office document as .doc
  • Sorry, I omitted this information - I am using Word. When I do Alt+F9, I do see the field codes.
  • that's including for the old references? Can you copy one field code for an item that _doesn't_ show up when you insert a bibliography and paste it here?
  • When I highlight the field code and paste here, only the citation number shows up in this box. Is there trick to this? I could send you a screenshot.
  • if you can take a screenshot and post it to an image sharing site like imgur.com & link to it from here that would do.
    I don't use Word - I assume there's a trick to copying field codes, maybe someone else knows.
  • I have typed in what I see.

{ ADDIN REFMGR.CITE {ADDIN EN.CITE.DATA }}

Another one:
    { ADDIN REFMGR.CITE <Refman><Cite><Author>Emanuel</Author...goes on for while.
  • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/r0mxBym.jpg[/IMG]
  • Those are Reference Manager cite codes. Of course Zotero doesn't work with those. You'll have to delete them - and make sure you get fully delete them, i.e. ideally leave field codes toggled on for that - and replace them with citations from ZOtero.
  • Sorry about that. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
This discussion has been closed.