Rename an author.

Hi there folks, newbie still here.

I'm having a hard time finding the following feature. I imported quite a lot of papers from this guy, John Doe. But he got cited, by Google, as alternatively "Doe", "Doe, J", "Doe, J." and "Doe, John". Naturally, I would prefer the latter. How can I rename the other instances? (As a side question, is there a way I can get the full list of authors in my library? I kind of remember the name of that author was Due or Foe, but I'm pretty sure that if I saw "Doe" in the list, I would immediately spot it.)

Thanks a bunch, people!
  • The only way to rename lots of authors now is to create a saved search for, say, "Doe" and comb through the items. Batch editing is planned, but I don't think there is a timetable for it yet.

As for your side question, no, but I think that such a feature would be quite nice, and indeed it would make Zotero a lot more like "iTunes for your references" -- browsing by artist / album is great, and it would be great to be able to browse by journal / year / author / etc. Such a feature is, as far as I know, not in the works at all, but it should be. A flexible interface for faceted browsing would be lots of fun -- right click on a journal title to browse to all article from that journal. Ditto for an author, a year.
  • Thanks again ajlyon! Well, it doesn't look really hard to code that. I'll probably give it a try during the week.
  • If you do create a browsing mode like that, I will be more than happy to test it out for you and provide feedback. I frequently work in a very author-centered mode, so it would make my life easier.
  • Is this still not possible to do? I also do not see any options to list authors in Zotero yet? Would also be useful to list by publication, Institute, year etc...
  • Correct, unfortunately no changes on this, though still something that's planned in general terms.